Another Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrew

Reaction score
I am wondering what peoples opinions are about their dry hopping practices. How long should the beer be exposed to the hops, I have seen things from 4 days to 2 weeks. What is the optimum time period to dry hop in order to get maximum flavor and aroma.

you just have to dry hop and taste the beer as it progresses. Thats really the only way. I dont like to go more then a week but some people like to go longer. I would say start at 3 or 4 days and go from there.

I like dry hopping for 1 week,seems to be the best for aroma to my senses without getting grassy or overpowering. & I use hop sacks in primary as well for dry hopping.

Depends on how fast you'll drink it IMO. It will fade with time. A week after I keg the aroma drops 10-20%.

i like to dry hop my beers for 5-7 days, maybe ten days max for a beer like IPA which i want explosive hops aroma from. i've noticed if i'm dry hopping at room temps (~68) that a week is plenty of contact time most of the time.

Why would kegging lend itself to loosing aroma while in a contained pressurized vessle and not bottle?
I keg my stuff too, but have not had the experience to really discover any changes, except that as it conditions in the keg it mellows and gets better.......or maybe I am just looking forward to it more :)

Back