New brewers - stop worrying about gravity readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
El Pistolero said:
Why do you need an excuse? :confused:

Exactly what I was thinking.

I've only brewed about 12 batches so far (hey, that's almost 2 barrels!) and I don't use one. Never have. I remember opening it on on my first batch and looking at those crappy instructions, and thinkin' "damn, do I HAVE to use this?" Ever since, it's been quietly sitting on my fridge until I go commercial :) Out of the 600 or so bottles I've filled, I've had no bombs.

I must be the exception. I use the hydro at every step of the process, document the readings and graph the results so I can compare from batch to batch. Must be all the money spent on engineering school trying to assert itself.

every post in this thread proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt that folks use or disuse, like/dislike of the hydrometer is clearly split between left and right brain/type a type b personality traits. :D

t1master said:
every post in this thread proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt that folks use or disuse, like/dislike of the hydrometer is clearly split between left and right brain/type a type b personality traits. :D
Obviously...but which is which? :confused:

type a personalities and left brainers use the hydro... type b and right brainers tend not to use the hydro..

left brain traits...

uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

Type A personality generally refers to hard workers who are often preoccupied with schedules and the speed of their performance.

right brain....

uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believing
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

Type B personalities may be more creative, imaginative, and philosophical

of course there's always exceptions and alot of middle ground/grey area, bearing in mind i'm also a quack... ;)

Well that explains it I guess...I'm a right brainer with severe LBD (left brain disorder)...or is it the other way around. :confused: I use an hydrometer...but I feel very dirty doing so. :D

SWMBO said:
Without taking hydrometer readings, you have no particular excuse to sample your beer.

'nuff said.

If you are still using a hydro for "testing", then presumably you are still at primary or early secondary stage which beggs the question....
Why would you want to be drinking/sampling "green" beer anyway ... Sick puppy....;)

I've seen several references to the difficulty of taking a sample and the risk of contamination. Am I the only one that brews in buckets for a primary? This makes it extremely easy to grab samples for hydrometer readings (which I use for every batch if anyone cares) or to transfer to a secondary or bottling bucket when the need or desire strikes me. I know some people are concerned about oxidation with this approach but I have had no problems as of yet with that. I am still relatively new to this so any opinions would be much appreciated.

Well I fit mostly under the left brain group but I hardly ever use a hydro. I have tried to get into the habit but I get rushed some times finding time to brew and don't always have the hydro or my thief sanitized so I bypass taking a reading. Since I also seem to have a lot of patience, at least when it comes to brewing. I let my beer sit in the secondary for longer than most( I do a lot of lagers) I have never had a problem with bombs. I also don't do a lot of big beers so I haven't had a stuck fermentation yet either. Homebrewing is a very personal hobby. People brew what they like, how they like, which is the way it should be. If you are making good beer that you like to drink then the how you got it done, in my opinion, is not that big of a deal.

Merry Christmas:D

Blaine said:
If you are still using a hydro for "testing", then presumably you are still at primary or early secondary stage which beggs the question....
Why would you want to be drinking/sampling "green" beer anyway ... Sick puppy....;)
Actually, I've been brewing since '93. I sample and write down the data for my records. I also taste the samples. I take my samples with a thief and place the contents into the plastic tube to take measurements/readings because I am curious.:D There's nothing wrong with that.

homebrewer_99 said:
Actually, I've been brewing since '93. I sample and write down the data for my records. I also taste the samples. I take my samples with a thief and place the contents into the plastic tube to take measurements/readings because I am curious.:D There's nothing wrong with that.

I myself sample the progress when taking readings, as well as when tranfering to secondary or keg. And I tell you what, tasting the "green beer" is a very good way to track how everything is going with your process. I sample from run off, to after the boil, to primary, to secondary, to keg and Im able to see whats what. Especially if you ever make any mistakes on a batch, you will know. Ive had only two batches go bad so far, and found out they were bad in the primary after taking a reading and sampling. So its definately not for enjoyment.

I use a hydrometer before I pitch yeast, when I rack, and when I bottle. I think these are very appropriate times to use one. I never decide to bottle until about two weeks after the bubbles stop. I take gravities to know ABV%.
I think the root of what Janx is saying is that new brewers sometimes get kind of insane about hydrometer readings and don't pay attention to what really matters: is the yeast done working? I've seen a lot of posts where people freak out about hydro readings and they don't say anything about the beer bubbling, or yeast sediment, or taste, or anything else that could tell you just as much without doing a lot of unnecessary math.
Use the hydrometer, but don't rely on it, and don't use it when it's not appropriate.

rewster451 said:
I use a hydrometer before I pitch yeast, when I rack, and when I bottle. I think these are very appropriate times to use one. I never decide to bottle until about two weeks after the bubbles stop. I take gravities to know ABV%.
I think the root of what Janx is saying is that new brewers sometimes get kind of insane about hydrometer readings and don't pay attention to what really matters: is the yeast done working? I've seen a lot of posts where people freak out about hydro readings and they don't say anything about the beer bubbling, or yeast sediment, or taste, or anything else that could tell you just as much without doing a lot of unnecessary math.
Use the hydrometer, but don't rely on it, and don't use it when it's not appropriate.
I agree with you...and Janx on the readings, but knowing how to use a hydrometer has not gone the way of the slide scale. I don't read bubbles divided by seconds - you just might have a stuck fermentation. I prefer knowing the gravity and temp when determining when to bottle.:D

As I recall when I brewed, I can say I never really bottled when I got a specific hydrometer reading. I used it to aproximate alcohol content. Once I had a stuck fermentation. A hydrometer reading really helps with this since sometimes you just dont know if its stuck or just done sooner then you thought it would be.

I still use a hydro from time to time for different reasons. For beginners I really think its a must in order to learn about them especially if glass bottling. If you plan to get serious about brewing learn the importance of the gravity of your beer!. Better safe than sorry. I cant believe this thread died so long ago. Ha.

If I'm going to take on an endeavor, I want to learn how to do things right. After I learn something, then whatever shorcuts I take will be the result of my understanding of the process and what can be done (or not done) to still produce good results.

When you go learn how to fly a plane, they teach you how each instrument works so that when you have a problem, you can know how to compensate or correct. They don't teach you to just "disregard your altimeter, you can see how high up you are"!

Learn your equipment or you'll always only do a half-a@#$ job.

i can agree that you do not NEED to take a gravity reading but it is so helpful !!

with extract I did not care as much about the OG/FG, but will all-grain, I think it is almost a must to take gravity readings.

I want to know how close I was to the recipe and my 'estimated' OG based on my efficiency... this way I can tweak the recipe up/down based on the gravity. The FG is just to know the ABV, that's about it...

The truth is really somewhere in the middle.

1) You do not need a hydrometer to make tasty homebrew. Patience and good sanitation is far more important.
2) It is an integral part of the hobby for folks who want to know the efficiency of their process, and for people who brew competitively.
3) It's good to own a hydrometer and understand how to use it.
4) It's good to use a hydrometer if you are a new brewer. Until you get a feel for the fermentation process, it CAN help you avoid bottle bombs.

All IMO, of course.

Wow, zombie thread walking here... :)

I personally want to know the alcohol content of beer I'm drinking so that I know when/if I can drive if I need to after having 2-3 beers. It's kinda hard to do when you have no idea how much ABV is in your beers. I never go by the "I feel ok to drive" concept because I can't tell you how many times I've seen completely hammered people think they're OK to drive.

Of course, at home with no plans to go out it doesn't matter so much, but I still like knowing the ABV of my beers.

Wow, zombie thread walking here... :)

I personally want to know the alcohol content of beer I'm drinking so that I know when/if I can drive if I need to after having 2-3 beers. It's kinda hard to do when you have no idea how much ABV is in your beers. I never go by the "I feel ok to drive" concept because I can't tell you how many times I've seen completely hammered people think they're OK to drive.

Of course, at home with no plans to go out it doesn't matter so much, but I still like knowing the ABV of my beers.

Spend 15 or 20 bucks and get yourself a pocket breathalizer... Personally, I don't drive after drinking 'any' alcohol... Not worth it.. I make sure that I'm where I'm going to stay if I drink.. Which means I usually do it at home, unless someone else is driving...

BTW, your metabolism changes from hour to hour, so knowing the ABV of the beer your drinking doesn't really tell you much.. How you feel, tells you more, but that can be misleading too...

Regarding hydrometers... I'm phasing them out.. Because seeing that I tend to have a couple beers when I brew, I tend to forget that step anyways...:D

I do want to measure my runnings from the tun though, so that I can get an idea of how to improve my efficiency or adjust my grain bill.. But once I dial my system in completely, I plan to run more and more by the seat of my pants.. I want it to be 'automatic'.... That's where you get consistency.. The more steps you add in the process, the harder and longer it takes to get 'your method' down to an art form...

I did the mash last night for my second AG brew (which I'll be brewing today).. Because of the having a couple beers factor, I forgot to vourlauf the second and third runnings... I don't know what that will do to the beer... I'm guessing nothing, or at the worst affect clarity.. But whatever, as long as I am anal about sanitation, and ferment at the right temp and give it plenty of time to finish.. it will be beer, and it will be tasty...

Anyways, I'll be checking the gravity of the wort before I pour all 13 gallons back into the kettle, just so I know my mash efficiency.. After I have done a half dozen AG brews, I'll know what adjustments to make.. and after three or four more, I'll probably put the hydro away until I get into lagers....

The truth is really somewhere in the middle.

I agree. If I had an pound of hops for every post on this board that says "The only way to tell if fermentation has stopped is to take a hydrometer reading. Otherwise you risk bottle bombs." I could trade the leftover hops for grain and yeast and never buy brewing supplies again.

But I do usually measure my wort before and after boiling.

I still use a hydro from time to time for different reasons. For beginners I really think its a must in order to learn about them especially if glass bottling. If you plan to get serious about brewing learn the importance of the gravity of your beer!. Better safe than sorry. I cant believe this thread died so long ago. Ha.

Congrats on digging up a 6 YEAR OLD THREAD.

By the way, the no hydrometer thing is terrible advice.

I rarely use one. But they have their place. If you are all grain, it's good to know your efficiency, but it isn't necessary.

However, there are beers...like Saisons that are known for being slow to finish. To avoid bottle bombs, if you are using a finicky yeast, you should check to make sure the beer is finished.

Back