I need a good Porter Recipe for my 1st AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've decided that it will still be cold enough in April that I can enjoy a good, ceamy porter. (Plus I can always do a lighter Kolsch next weekend.)

Does any one have a good recipe for an AG porter that might be described as smooth, chocolaty, rich and one of those brews that leaves a nice mustache?

I'm itching to get my first AG under my belt.

I just racked my second AG, first porter to the secondary and poured off a glass, but for the lack of carbonation, it was pretty much ready (though I'll leave in secondary to be sure). It sounds similar to what you want, tweak as desired.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Porter First AG
Brewer: Aaron Seelye
Asst Brewer:
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.74 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 32.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.15 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.5 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 8.1 %
0.90 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.3 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.0 %
1.65 oz Northern Brewer [7.00%] (60 min) Hops 37.8 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20%] (15 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20%] (3 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) [Starter 3000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 12.30 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Step Add 15.38 qt of water at 165.8 F 153.0 F 60 min
Step Add 8.00 qt of water at 207.5 F 170.0 F 10 min

A few lbs of munich/vienna can add some nice flavor to your porter. That'll be a big grain bill, so if you do add the munich, you might want to lower the 2-row accordingly, but you wouldn't have to. You can also add a lb of flaked oats for the creamy character.

I've brewed a couple of porters and they all turned out great. I think you'll be happy with it.

Cheers and good luck!

Lil' Sparky said:
A few lbs of munich/vienna can add some nice flavor to your porter. That'll be a big grain bill, so if you do add the munich, you might want to lower the 2-row accordingly, but you wouldn't have to. You can also add a lb of flaked oats for the creamy character.

Thanks. Can I used simple Quaker Quick Oats?

And I'll throw this out for anyone to comment.

What is the laymens description of how Porters and Stouts differ?

Now a days stouts include roasted barley, porters don't. Back in the day Stouts were just a stronger porter. Here is what used:

7lbs- 2-row
1lb-120L Crystal
.5lb- Brown Malt
.5lb- Chocolate Malt
.5lb- Munich

1oz Fuggles(60)
1oz EKG (30)
1oz Fuggles (aroma)

Yeast-Wyeast 1028

I like this beer and so do many of my friends, when I do this again I'll cut the Crystal back to 60L and add more Munich, like to 1lb or 1.5lbs.

Thanks Sause.

Here is what I compiled from a few recipes and some of the suggestions - including yours.

I'm hoping for some feedback:

PORTER

1Tsp Gypsum
7 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 58.3 %
2 lb Munich/Vienna Malt – 10L Grain 16.6 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 8.3 %
1.00 lb Flaked Oats - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 8.3 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.3 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.0 %
1.65 oz Northern Brewer [7.00%] (60 min) Hops 37.8 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20%] (15 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20%] (3 min) Hops 0.9 IBU

0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) [Starter 3000 ml] Yeast-Ale
or/
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

(I wouldn't mind some suggestions on the yeast. My LHBS carries Wyeast and I like the smack packs)

Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
----------------------------
Temp Step
Step Add 3.5 Gallons of water at 166 F resulting in 153.0 F mash temp for 60 min
Step Add 2 Gallons of water at 208 F resulting in 170.0 F mash/sparge over ten 10 min

True about the Stouts. they used to be called Stout Porter but Ireland beer makers dropped the name porter and Stout stuck. Difference is lovibond and hop aroma [typically (from what I read) there should be a wee bit more aroma in porter (not much) but a tad bit more than a stout, which almost has none.]

Black Malt (aka. Patent) was also introduced and was typically used more in stouts than porters but nowadays is also used in very moderate amounts in porters for coloring and flavor.

- WW

I am not a huge fan of Black malt, the beer would be dark enough with out it. Heck it is actually to dark for to be classified as a brown Porter. As for the yeast that white labs yeast is the same strain as the 1028 from Wyeast. That strain has become my new favorite to use on most British beers. Looks like a good yummy beer. I can't believe I just said yummy.

sause said:
I am not a huge fan of Black malt, the beer would be dark enough with out it. Heck it is actually to dark for to be classified as a brown Porter. As for the yeast that white labs yeast is the same strain as the 1028 from Wyeast. That strain has become my new favorite to use on most British beers. Looks like a good yummy beer. I can't believe I just said yummy.

I agree with the suggestion to use a Brish Ale, like Wyeast 1028 (London Ale). I have used this on a few browns and porters, and really liked it. It yields a fairly dry, clean finish with a bit of fruity flavour and a touch of licorice, too. It also seems to be a really robust fermenter at various temperatures (but don't go too warm or it is prone to off-flavours).

FlyGuy said:
I agree with the suggestion to use a Brish Ale, like Wyeast 1028 (London Ale). I have used this on a few browns and porters, and really liked it. It yields a fairly dry, clean finish with a bit of fruity flavour and a touch of licorice, too. It also seems to be a really robust fermenter at various temperatures (but don't go too warm or it is prone to off-flavours).

Thanks. THIS is why I love this forum. :rockin:

I'm stoked. My first AG. A newly built Mash Tun. An all-the-best-pieces for a great porter. I even found 20-foot lengths of flexible brass refrigerator tubing ay my Lowes and I'm going to take a crack at wrapping a wort cooler.

Man am I thirsty. :mug:

Back