Yeast Froze During shipping...Ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rassisland

Reaction score
I just got an order of ingredients and the package had been outside for a few hours. I live in Upstate NY and it has been about 15 degrees out. When I opened the package I found the yeast, Wyeast 1968 was crunchy and seemed to be partly frozen. What should I do?! Is the yeast dead? Should I let them thaw out or put them in the fridge? Any advice would be helpful. ALSO, would any other ingredients be hurt by being in freezing weather? Thanks in advance.

I just got an order of ingredients and the package had been outside for a few hours. I live in Upstate NY and it has been about 15 degrees out. When I opened the package I found the yeast, Wyeast 1968 was crunchy and seemed to be partly frozen. What should I do?! Is the yeast dead? Should I let them thaw out or put them in the fridge? Any advice would be helpful. ALSO, would any other ingredients be hurt by being in freezing weather? Thanks in advance.

It could be just the yeast nutrient that was frozen... although I would be worried too. Definitely thaw - smack and see what happens - if it doesn't expand or expands only a little. Get out some Malt extract and make yourself a starter - hopefully any live yeasties would procreate and you would have a pitch-able amount in a couple days.

or screw all that and call and complain to the company you bought it from.

Make a starter that will tell u if there were survivors.Give it a few days in the starter wort!

I had the same thing happen with my last batch. I made a starter (like I always do anyway) and it is happily bubbling away in my basement right now. If you see no activity in your starter within 24 hours it could be toast.

Back