Irish Red color input, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storunner13

Reaction score
Here's the recipe to an Irish Red Ale I plan on brewing this week. It will be my first brew with steeping grains, and therefore my first recipe using specialty grains. Will the Roasted Barley and the Crystal 80 give enough red color for a deep red Irish ale? Should I grind the roasted barley a bit more to extract more color? Wyeast 1084 has a low flocculation rating, does anyone have experience with this? Will Irish moss help clear up any haze? or cold conditioning? Finally, any tips to give this beer a dryer finish? Thanks.

Recipe Type: Extract and Special Grains
Yeast: Wyeast 1084 | Irish Ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Boil Gravity: 1.076
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 18.31
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 | 63F

Kiss Me, I'm Sh*tfaced Irish Red Ale

Grains and Extract (Pts. for Boil Gravity)

4.5 lbs. Briess Light DME (67)
0.5 lbs. Crystal 10 (2)
0.25 lbs. Crystal 80 (3)
0.25 lbs. Roasted Barley (3)
0.5 lbs. Carapils (1)

Hops (IBUs)

1 oz. EK Goldings Leaf 4.5%AAU - 60 min (12.24)
1 oz. UK Fuggle Leaf 4.5%AAU - 15 min (6.07)

just plugged the numbers into BeerSmith - you're estimated SRM is 17.9, assuming the roasted barley is 500L. FWIW, the upper limit for an Irish Red by the style guidelines is 18.

Between the C80 and the roast barley, you'll achieve a deep red color, just like JLem said. That amount of roast barley should also allow for a "dry" finish. 4-6 oz should do it, so you are right there.

I haven't tried Wyeast 1084, but it's said to be equivalent to WLP004, which will finish very clean. The only thing I am uncertain of is the Carapils - why do you need it? I'm sure the DME and crystal will give you enough body. Please don't get me wrong - adding it will not ruin the beer or anything; I'm just trying to save you a few bucks! I think the impact will be neglible.

Thanks for the input on the color, as well as the yeast and the Carapils. I was thinking that I would want a little extra body, but perhaps for a Irish ale I don't need anymore. And you're probably right about the extract and crystal giving enough body. Hopefully the beer will taste good come St. Patrick's Day!

Back