Monty Python Does Wine...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well sort of,

John Cleese - Wine for the Confused

Watch it on hulu here;

Wine for the Confused.

Monty Python alums have made good second careers hosting documentary programs, such as Terry Jones's Crusades. Now John Cleese turns his attention to the subject of wine in Wine for the Confused, originally broadcast as a special on Food Network.

Listen to our interview with John Cleese.

"Don't let anyone ever try to tell you what wine you like, because people have different tastes and we shall honor that," he heralds at the start. The point of the program is clear and simple: to help you find and describe wines you like; to show how to buy wines at a good value; and to provide tips on how to get the most enjoyment from the wines you do buy. With this attitude, his considerable charm, and his gentle wit, Cleese is the perfect host for this material, and right off the bat he strikes just the right tone--instructive, but light-hearted. The result is delightful.

First covered are the six major varieties of wine-producing grapes (first the whites, then the reds, just as at a tasting), the fermentation process, and tasting notes to help you learn what you like and how to describe it ("Quality should be judged by your own taste."). Next is "Buying Wine." Now that you know what you like, learn how to find it at a good value for the money. Finally there is "Storing and Serving Wine," with simple tips for savoring your purchase.

Thought you'd all like to enjoy this....:mug:

Thanks for putting up a link to that, it is one of my favorite video clips about wine- makes a lot of sense and should help anyone who wants to make their own wines, and those who think that they are wrong to like the wine they do, because they like a wine that doesn't cost over $20 a bottle.
I have a hard time trying to convince people that they should drink what they like, not what others think they should like. My hubby is more of a sangria/wine cooler drinker as is my mom. But my daughter has just found that she likes a semi-dry Riesling.
I can highly recommend that every one watch this video!:rockin:

Thanks for putting up a link to that, it is one of my favorite video clips about wine- makes a lot of sense and should help anyone who wants to make their own wines, and those who think that they are wrong to like the wine they do, because they like a wine that doesn't cost over $20 a bottle.
I have a hard time trying to convince people that they should drink what they like, not what others think they should like. My hubby is more of a sangria/wine cooler drinker as is my mom. But my daughter has just found that she likes a semi-dry Riesling.
I can highly recommend that every one watch this video!:rockin:

Even more so when you put the effort into making it yourself. Why make something you don't like? I made some wines for Christmas gifts this year and kept them on the dry side, because I knew most wine drinkers don't like them as sweet as I do. I got lots of compliments, yet several people said, "Delicious--nice dessert wine!" Apparently when it comes to wine I'm a sugar fiend. But at least when I make it myself I'm not limited to Moscato and Manischiewitz. I can make whatever flavor appeals to me and sweeten it to taste.

Even more so when you put the effort into making it yourself. Why make something you don't like? I made some wines for Christmas gifts this year and kept them on the dry side, because I knew most wine drinkers don't like them as sweet as I do. I got lots of compliments, yet several people said, "Delicious--nice dessert wine!" Apparently when it comes to wine I'm a sugar fiend. But at least when I make it myself I'm not limited to Moscato and Manischiewitz. I can make whatever flavor appeals to me and sweeten it to taste.

Well, that's kinda why I would never brew a Budweiser style beer clone, nor a wheat beer, because I don't really enjoy drinking them.

What I really liked about the film was the basic discussion of the various grapes and major styles, and the little things about perception. I never thought about not being able to taste the difference between a red and a white if you couldn't see the color.

Hulu's got another interesting wine video as well, I'm watching it now.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/119241/confidential-wine-confidential?c=Food-and-Leisure#s-p1-so-i0

The Gary Vaynerchuk mentioned in the first part of the film, appeared on basic Brewing radio 2 years ago.

05-01-08 Basic Brewing Radio - Beer Eye for the Wine Guy
Thursday, May 01, 2008 4:30 PM
Gary Vaynerchuk of Wine Library TV brings the thunder to BBR and gives us his perspectives on the art of tasting as he samples homebrew.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr05-01-08garyv.mp3

Wife and I are watching this now. After SWMBO having to deal with my talk about fermentation and after helping me make our first batch of wine two weeks ago its a good video to really understand what is happening and kinda of get an idea of the differences in wine. Instead of going to a winery and experiencing each wine (and if like me your just waiting for the taste and you hear the jib-jab talk of the winery tour guide as blah blah give me drink blah blah blah). It got the swmbo awake really quickly and she is watching with that look of I know what is happening...

Then I got the look of why are we drinking home brew.. lets make more wine look. Which I'm all for sharing my tools to make some more wine :)

Latest posts

Back