Better Bottle subsitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right thread or not, But what the heck...
Simple dumb question.

I have been using carboys to ferment and secondary for quite a long time now.

Problem i am running into is, Local HBS is overpriced and getting carboys there is $40+ a piece.
Shipping i know isnt much better, Craigslist has helped out quite a bit but not exactly a barn burner in finding carboys.

So anyways, I was in Wally-world today and saw the 5 gal drinking water bottles for $7.00 seems like a awsome buy.

I have allways stayed away from plastic because if you scratch it, its anouther groove for something to get into and more chances for infection...
Yes i know lot of people use them, and oxyclean and sanitiser should solve everything...Maybe me just being paranoid.

So if they are good for drinking water, They should be food safe...Correct?

Problem i am running into now is making 10 gal batch's, I dont have enough carboys to keep doing 10 gal batchs... I have 3 6 gal so fill 2 up, When primary ferment is done i siphon over to one..clean one. and you get the idea. Can only do a 5 gal batch....that is if i only crash the secondary for a week....if it needs longer well i am sol.

So go get them, Remove the tops. Or suck it up and buy carboy or better bottle? Like i said just looking for 2ndary purpose only.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back