Chlorophenol flavor/aroma showing up after carbonation only?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZBrewMan

Reaction score
Got the dreaded band aid beer blues :(. I'm trying to narrow down the possible causes. I had heard that chlorophenols are only noticeable after beer has been carbonated. Is this true?

TIA.

I think that I had a chlorophenol issue, and it was definitely more pronounced after carbonation. But I was able to taste a hint of it after fermentation was done. I think that drinking a carbonated, cold beer just brings out the flavor that much more over just fermented beer.

Thank you.

Ya, Just trying to pinpoint where in the process this flavor is coming from. I haven't been able to detect it before bottling. In fact, all the beers have tasted great... and then... :(

Nope, starsan and tap water.

I've used this method on many batches without a problem. Maybe I've gotten more careless about draining every last drop of sanitizing solution out, so there is more tap water left in the bottles to make the difference noticeable.

I'm going to use spring water with starsan for my next batch just to be absolutely sure. It totally sucks to ruin whole batches of beer.

I've had the same problem with two batches... Before bottling my beer taste wonderful!!! After carbonating... Damn!
Obviously has to be something when bottling... But what?

Been there, done that! Poured out several batches. Yes, you can smell it and taste it before bottling. Drink your sample from your primary, then burp. I got good at detecting it I had so many bad batches. Turned out to be wild yeast. Changed fermenters and no problems since. Good Luck

My latest batch was bottled without using tap water. I just tasted it last night and the off flavor is almost completely gone. Although, it's still slightly noticeable. Now I'm thinking there is a small chlorophenol buildup on my equipment. Any ideas on how to get rid of that? Soak my equipment in water and drop in a campden tab?

Back