You guys are awesome! First all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alee

Reaction score
I have to say thanks to all that helped with my questions and suggested modifications to my method. I brewed my first all grain (an ESB) this afternoon and everything turned out perfect. The increase in strike water temp put me exactly at the mash temperature I was shooting for. With the 10 gal rubbermaid cooler, I only lost 2deg F in an hour! Outstanding!
I wound up with 71% efficiency on my first batch. I coudn't have done it without you guys (and my assistant Michael, who is learning with me).

The only problem I had (and it was a big one!) was that the turkey fryer burner that I used put out nothing but a large yellow flame even with adjustment. It left my pots covered with soot as well as the garage floor, my face, the sink and the kitchen (the one I heard about the most!).

Is this just a case of a bad burner, or is this normal? My feet are still black even after a shower and another foot bath! Surely I should be able to get a nice clean blue flame? Any suggestions?
Thanks again,

Adrian

Congrats on your first AG.
As for the burner, a yellow flame and soot indicates too little O2. If you can't adjust it out, try dismantling it and brushing out the spiders, dust mice etc. Usually works wonders.

-a.

Congrats on your first run. If you are still getting yellow flame and soot after adjusting the airflow there could be something restricting the burner's air intake. Check inside the throat of the burner and make sure there are no debris blocking the airflow.

I took the burner apart before using it because it had been in a barn for years. It was pretty clean. I didn't do anything with the hose thought. I just looks like a cheap design. I tried adjusting the O2 intake while it was running but it did nothing. Maybe you are on to something. I will check it more thoroughly tomorrow. If I have no luck, is there a burner that you guys recommend that puts out a nice blue clean flame?
Thanks

Just figured out my burner problem. After dissasembling everything (and being recoated in soot) I tried blowing on each part of the gas line. I had replaced the gas tank fitting with one from an old grill because it still had the old style attachment and they wouldn't fill the old bottle. It seems that there is a restrictor in the fitting that is not letting the gas flow as much as it should....probably because it was designed for a grill not a large burner. I will have to search for a new hose assembly or just buy a new burner. I can't live with the soot issue (and SHMBO). One flake of soot is enough to cover about 10 square feet of kitchen floor when you try to wipe it up~!

Latest posts

Back