Cake Pitching!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here is my plan.... Im brewing a wit on Saturday the 28th 2 weeks later is brew day, where we are brewing a weizenbock. 2 weeks should be plenty of primary time for said wit, then keg the wit (shouldn't need any more aging or clarification, and its not like I have a tap free at this point anyways!) toss the airlock back on the carboy and use the cake the next day for the (fairly big beer) weizenbock... good plan? is there anything I need to know about this? Ive never pitched onto a cake before......

The process should be fine, just leave some beer to cover the yeast cake. Why not just keg the beer while you are chilling the next batch.

But, I wonder about the yeast choice. Are you using a Wit yeast? IMO, you need a German wheat beer yeast for a proper weizenbock.

hmm, the reason im not gonna keg the beer is that brew day is not at my house... and by that point well all be drunk. That being said... its not a terrible idea.

the yeast is because I don't really like Weizen yeast, the whole suspension thing doesn't really work for me. Its a group brew so that's what was decided :) And this way it may turn out to be something interesting!

Latest posts

Back