Double-Barrel Bottling: Now, Twice as Fast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought about making a manifold to hold the two bottling wands, but I already had a second spigot, so here it is. Worked exactly as I expected: twice as fast :rockin:

IMG_05406.JPG

IMG_05411.JPG

HAHAHAHA score! That's simply awesome... I was expecting a y-joint or something but double-spigot is far more sweet.

HAHAHAHA score! That's simply awesome... I was expecting a y-joint or something but double-spigot is far more sweet.

I thought really hard for about 5 minutes on ways to do this without 2 spigots. I thought about milling holes / channels in delrin, encasing a plastic 'Y' connector in a polyurethane block, and some other dumbnesses that aren't coming to me now.

I'm glad I took the easy route and just put the second spigot in there. It made my bottling day so much faster, and I learned that my old Williams Brewing spigot is extremely slow (or there's something wrong with that bottling wand). I can almost fill two bottles with the one on the left before the one on the right is done. So, I'd say my bottling day is now 3 times as fast.

I'm surprised that I've not seen anyone else doing this before. I'm sure they have, but I haven't come across it.

That solves a problem quickly and easily. Nice work! Nice floor there dude.

I believe the right side one is a wine spigot which has a smaller diameter inside........:off: Did you ever try the Berliner Wiesse with lime zest?

Hmmm... really? I'll have to check that out... how can you tell?

Re: BW: not yet. It's sorta forgotten in my sour cabinet. I probably won't touch it for another week or two. In the pics I'm bottling a pale ale.

I haven't bottled in a while but might have to try this next time I do. I also like how you've mounted the bottling wand. I had been using a long piece of hose in between which meant one hand always had to be holding that. very nice

Can you imagine an entire bucket's circumference lines with spigots? That would be epic!

I'm imagining having to build a sturdy stool-like stand for it so the spigots can hang freely all around. I'd probably call it the Sun Starfish
2479130477_b32b348314.jpg

Also, I would require no less than 4 bottling minions to do my bidding.

I sense an arms race brewing....what's next? 3 bottles? 4? Where does it end?

Oh and PassedPawn, you'll find that a 3/4" PVC elbow threads onto the spigot just fine replacing the nut. I used one when I bottled and it allowed me to draw all but an ounce with NO TIPPING! May need to file/grind it down a bit to be almost flush with the bottom of the bucket.

What is this, are we supposed to being ending our posts with random stream of conciousness words or something? Slug spit.

I was kayaking around Seattle and came upon this guy catching that starfish. I'm the dufus you hear in the video asking if he knew how to skin one of those. Clown pockets.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I've seen starfish eaten on Bizarre Foods. Just boil the mofo and make a soup, no skinning necessary. Grapple shifter.

I think I may try this, but have 4 spigots total since I usually have my cousin helping me brew and bottle. Random thought.

I am no where near ambidextrious enough to give this any constructive thought. Traub recycling.

I have to bottle soon for the first time in forever. I may want to employ this method. Cookie-Dough spaceship.

This has to be the best "why didn't I think of this?" idea I've ever seen. I've been kegging all of my 10g batches, but have thought about splitting some in half and bottling 5g. This would definitely make the idea more appealing. Albuquerque. Technicolor abacus.

Most Excellent! I might have to try this. I often bottle one batch while mashing another, and the time is kinda tight, this will keep me movin on.

With some spigots (mine) the flow is reduced if you turn them all the way till the handle touches the spigot body. I turn mine on till the handle is parallel to the spigot face and the flow is greatest. it has to do with the hole placement inside the spigot, you actually turn it past full flow, to a reduced flow. Aqueous wafer.

I tried this today - fricken awesome! I could fill 6-12 ozers in 65 seconds, and it took about 50 seconds to cap each 6. I learned that it is better to start one bottle (the one in my right hand) about 1 second ahead of the other, so you can watch that one, and when it's full, stop it and glance over to the other side.

Passedpawn, you are a genius!! As a committed bottler this will be the final step in streamlining my process.

That is great....

I bottle most of my beers and can do it pretty fast...... this would speed it up even more.

This is a great idea. Since I use a long hose (see below) I might try a T connection of some type. I assume the flow is limited more by the bottling wand than spigot.

I haven't bottled in a while but might have to try this next time I do. I also like how you've mounted the bottling wand. I had been using a long piece of hose in between which meant one hand always had to be holding that. very nice

I like to sit all my bottles in a big aluminum tray and then move the hose/wand to each bottle. When packed full the tray keeps the bottles steady (one hand on wand, other free) and helps with clean-up. But many people like the stationary wand.

I do keg now, but some beers still need to be bottled. I.e., this wkend I'll finally bottle a flanders red (sour!). Not kegging that. Making a belgian dark strong, not kegging that either. Electric banana.

I think you want and e.g., not an i.e. /grammar reich

Back