I'm trying to decide between two beers to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHog

Reaction score
I've narrowed it down to either AHS Special Holiday Ale or AHS Double Chocolate Stout. Any suggestions on which one to pick?

Thanks.

Thank you for the welcome. It will be my second time brewing. I just brewed a honey cream ale yesterday and I want to get something else going that is heavier for the holidays.

I have brewed both of these kits. Just bottled the Holiday ale a couple days ago. It was tasting great. IMO this needs time to mellow out. When it's young all the spices are right up front and a little harsh. Give it some time and it'll be great.

The Double Chocolate is good, but I think this one needs even more time than the Christmas Ale. The doube chocolate was my second batch and it still hasn't hit it's sweet spot. If you read the reviews on AHS site many people will say the same thing.

So, BK said;
First Brew - Holiday Ale
Not First Brew - Double Chocolate Stout

Out of the two I would say the Holiday would be drinkable the quickest. So if you're doing it for the Holidays (which I would think you are) then get that burner started!

I was thinking about brewing the AHS Holiday Ale too. It looked really good to me and would be ready right in time for the holidays. Let us know how it turns out if that's the one you choose

STOUT! I had to put a chastity belt on my double chocolate stout after a week to keep myself off of it. Its my first brew every friend begs for a reappearance of. It'll easily be ready as early as the holiday beer, and since its only your second brew the body of the stout will help to hide any flaws.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I decided to go with the holiday ale, but the double chocolate stout won't be too far behind. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks again for the help! This is by far the best website I've ever come across.

Heck - I've done the Double Choco and LOVED it after 3 weeks!! People that "do not like dark beer" come back for seconds.

Yea - it can use time but does not HAVE to have it.

I am brewing it again just so I can TRY to have it site.

If I were you I would do both!! :)

When AHS was having their sale last Saturday, I asked SWMBO what I should brew next. I mentioned the Special Holiday Ale, and she insisted that we do it next; she says we can give it out at Christmastime. Which is fine by me, because I don't particularly care for spiced beers. And yes, I reminded her of this, and yes, it's still the next brew.

Just means I'll get to drink more of the pale ale or hefe that'll come after! :mug:

Back