First batch concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hox

Reaction score
Hi everyone, like all the other posts, I have a question about my first brew. I started a Pilsner brew the other night and in the instructions it says to add the hop leafs (in a cloth bag) during the last minute of boiling. It never went any further though to say whether or not you leave them in during the fermenting process or if that 1 minute is all it takes. So if I'm supposed to run down to my basement and pull them out quickly please let me know ASAP. :cross:

Welcome to the forum. Like David said...probably best to pull them. No harm done if you don't, but no benefit either.

I just love poorly written homebrew instructions that come with kits...:rolleyes:

Alright well I'll just leave them in then till I open it up tomorrow. If it's not going to ruin anything I'll just wait till then because I have to open it then anyways.

The kit was actually fairly descriptive in just about every aspect of the process except for that one detail. Just from my experience from instructions in the past I was impressed.

Yeah they aren't going to hurt anything at all, you could just as well leave them in until fermentation is complete or as discussed about just take them out now. I think a lot of us after brewing for a while forget that we were once new at this and we forget simple details like this when describing how to brew, this is probably why the instructions did not indicate taking the hops out at the end of the boil. I think sometimes directions make assumptions of prior knowledge.

I usually......

I almost said that.....The 2 brews that I have done I leave my hops in until after I chill the wort, I just catch the hop bags as I am transfering it into the fermenter.

Tim

Back