How many BTUs for 12-13 gallon boils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
My current burner is 55k BTUs with the 10psi regulator. If I get the 15psi regulator, my heat goes up to 120k BTUs. Then finally, the 20psi regulator puts it up to 185k BTUs. Do I need to upgrade regulators and if so, which ones enough?

Do 20. One of my burners *used* to be about 60K...now with the 20 PSI regulator, it RIPS....but I still have fine control, which is good. A 30 PSI is overkill, IMHO, and just wasted propane.

Might as well try boiling 10 gallons with the 10psi for now but I'd agree that you'd want a little more power when your time is short. It's pretty easy keeping a boil going but it's getting it from tap temp of 60F to 170 that's the hardest.

Here the bottom line, any of them will do. The question is how fast do you what to get your wort up to a boil. At which point you'll have to turn down the flame on even the lowest btu unit.

If it were me I'd look elsewhere for a variable reg. mine is variable from 0-30 PSI
it also has a control valve in addition to the varible PSI control knob. I think I paid abour $25 for it last year. You can also get varible from 0-20 PSI.

abracadabra said:
Here the bottom line, any of them will do. The question is how fast do you what to get your wort up to a boil. At which point you'll have to turn down the flame on even the lowest btu unit.

If it were me I'd look elsewhere for a variable reg. mine is variable from 0-30 PSI
it also has a control valve in addition to the varible PSI control knob. I think I paid abour $25 for it last year. You can also get varible from 0-20 PSI.

Yeah I'll probably go with the variable regulator. I wanna be able to come up to the boil quickly, but not have to throttle all the way down during the boil. All I know is, its much better than my kitchen stove :D

Latest posts

Back