AHS Arrogant Bastard clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how good is this recipe? I love AB.....I went as far and made it my home screen on my Q

98EXL said:
how good is this recipe? I love AB.....I went as far and made it my home screen on my Q

Mine was just moved to the secondary, so it'll be a while until I sample. However, I can tell you the hops are right on.

Brett3rThanU said:
Mine was just moved to the secondary, so it'll be a while until I sample. However, I can tell you the hops are right on.

quick funny story about AB, gave someone a taste because they wanted to try a big boy beer. I told them the first few lines on the back of the bottle "This is an aggressive beer, you probably aren't going to like it" ....

and yup, they didn't like it as expected. More AB for me!

TheBrewPig and I have made two batches of this, using the AHB Steeped Crystal recipe. We hit an FG of 1.014 both times with an OG of 1.055 and 1.066 (a bit less water this time).

The second batch I forgot to turn off the burner when adding the malt and I got a bit of a burned smell, so it will be interesting to see what this adds to the flavour!

First batch has been in the bottles for a month, and it has been 6 weeks since it was started in the fermenter. I tested a bottle last week, and it was still a bit green, but WOW it tasted good! Can't wait to test it in another couple of weeks.

I am thankful for 2 things in this process...

1. We immediately started a second batch after tasting a sample while bottling the first batch

2. BrewPig took all of it to his house (next door) to keep me from drinking it before it was ready.

Thanks for the recipe Forrest!

I started this thread and drank the last of my batch on superbowl sunday. Man I miss it. The batch I made was definetly less hoppy and a little sweeter than the real thing but friggin tasty none the less. I miss it.

Gotta make more, my favorite beer so far!!

ethangray19 said:
I started this thread and drank the last of my batch on superbowl sunday. Man I miss it. The batch I made was definetly less hoppy and a little sweeter than the real thing but friggin tasty none the less. I miss it.

Gotta make more, my favorite beer so far!!

What FG did you hit?

I was thinking of doing an arrogant bastard recipe but instead of using 10.5 lbs of Amber LME I was wanting to try 7lbs amber LME and 4.5lbs pale LME.

Ant thoughts on this change, I want to get a slightly less sweet not quite as rich malt flavor.

What does anyone think of this???

thanks

ethangray19 said:
I was thinking of doing an arrogant bastard recipe but instead of using 10.5 lbs of Amber LME I was wanting to try 7lbs amber LME and 4.5lbs pale LME.

Ant thoughts on this change, I want to get a slightly less sweet not quite as rich malt flavor.

What does anyone think of this???

thanks

There is not a lot of flavor difference between the amber and pale. Mostly color. So you would just be making the beer lighter in color. Because it is a higher gravity beer you would have a higher finishing gravity (sweetness). You could use White Labs Dry English ale yeast which ferments 10% dryer. It would remove some of the sweetness.

Or you could just use the 7 pounds of amber alone and it would not be as sweet or heavy.

I tried my Arrogant Bastard Ale clone from AHS this past weekend it gets two big thumbs up! The recipe called for 4 oz Chinook hops total, but I cut the bittering hops down and only used 3 oz hops over all since I'm still trying to learn to love the hops. This is only my second brew and I nailed it, couldn't have turned out better. :)

Just brewed up the Arrogant clone from AHS last night - wort tastes awesome. I went with the liquid yeast WLabs California V and all LME. Chinook was 12.5%AAU

I did a near full boil (kit said 2 gallon boil I think, then add another before LME) and half LME on the front end and half LME at 20 minutes. Other than that I followed the recipe. Thanks to the snow and freezing cold I got the wort chilled in about 15 minutes.

I did a starter for the yeast with 16 oz h20 and 1/2 cup amber DME (had some lying around) and 1 tsp yeast nutrient. The starter only sat for 3-4 hours before pitching, but hey, anything helps!

O.G. was 1.080+ and based on predicted attenuation, it should come out to 8.2% - but we will see.

Looked like the yeast were in a low suspension this morning, but no bubbling yet. Very interested to see how close this is to Arrogant... I love that stuff and will pick up another kit soon if this works out well.

Back