Storing Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and am in the process of kegging my first batch. My question is about long term storage of kegs. How long can the kegs sit prior to carbonation, assuming I am just letting them condition. Secondly can I store the kegs on their side rather than standing up? Thirdly for long term (2-3 months) storage what is the preferred temperature?
Thanks for looking and any info/advice you can provide.

you can store them indefenetly assuming your sanatation is good and your keg holds pressure. I store my kegs during conditioning @ 64 - 68 deg F I pressurize to 40-45 psi to set the gasket then in the conditioning fridge and forget. yes you can store them on there side but its not the prefered method becouse the sediment will go back into sespention when you turn it up for serving. long term storage three+ months I would store at serving temp 38 def F but he!l how could you wait that long??
JJ

Jaybird said:
you can store them indefenetly assuming your sanatation is good and your keg holds pressure. I store my kegs during conditioning @ 64 - 68 deg F I pressurize to 40-45 psi to set the gasket then in the conditioning fridge and forget. yes you can store them on there side but its not the prefered method becouse the sediment will go back into sespention when you turn it up for serving. long term storage three+ months I would store at serving temp 38 def F but he!l how could you wait that long??
JJ
Thanks. Yeah I was kinda worried about the sediment issue. How do you think they would fair if I stored them on their side and then 3-5 days prior to tapping stood them up? Only reason is because I am in the process of building a keg fridge and I can fit more kegs in if I can store them on their side. Thanks again.

ya you can store them on there side and stand them up for serving I think if I had to do that I would condition them on there side then stand them up give them a good gentle shake to get most of the sediment back in sespention so it dosent continue to slide down the keg while serving then carbonate for 7 to 10 days by then all will have settled out and it will come out in the first 2-3 pints.
JJ

Back