My Lager ferment got a little warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flabyboy

Reaction score
I am making my second lager ever and had a quick question. I am using the Saflager 34/70 yeast in a Surlyfest clone. I pitched the yeast in a 58 degree wort and put it in my garage which has in floor heating. The temp in the garage was 51 degrees. Anyway, on the 2nd day of fermentation, it got a little warmer outside an the garage temp jumped to 54. I checked the temp in the bucket and I am at 58-60 degrees. A little warm. I dropped the temp in my garage to 48 hoping it will cool a bit. Never used this yeast before What ill effects will this have on the finished product?? Just some ester flavors? Or a diacetyl bomb? I'm excited for this beer and hoping I didn't eff it up

usually with a lager you want to warm it up to around 60 for a few days towards the end of fermentation anyhow. you hit about the upper limit of lager temps but you should be fine. no worries

My goal was to ferment this at 53 degrees. I didn't think the bucket would warm up that much. The last lager I did had a very tame fermentation. Just didn't think it would get this hot. Lesson learned

Latest posts

Back