What is the ideal temp for bottle conditioning a sweet stout(milk stout)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I just bottled a milk stout last night and right now have it sitting in the beer fridge at around 66-68 degrees. Beer Smith said to take it to 50 or something low like that. I fermented at 67. So the low conditioning temp looks funny to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You definitely do not want to bottle condition at that low temp. The reason is because your beer will not carbonate if the yeast aren't active, which they won't be at that low temperature (50F). Since you just bottled yesterday, you need to give the yeast some more time at room temperature to ferment the priming sugar so your beers carbonate.

My advice is to keep them at room temp (68-74) for 3 weeks, then throw them in the fridge for 1-2 weeks, then they should be ready.

Appreciate it. That's what I was thinking but Beersmith threw me off. I will keep them in the fridge at around 68. It's going to be delicious!!

Thanks Revvy. I'm planning on 8 weeks. I wanted to keep it a little cooler than room temp (but not 50). So I assume it should carb a bit slower. but if there is one thing I have its time (new baby). I never leave the house anymore. :) The Jackass IPA should be ready to drink before the Donkey Milk Stout. Again, appreciate it.

Back