Yoopers welches recipe revisited

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
Several years ago, maybe in '07 I made some wine using Yooper's Welches grape concentrate recipe. It went well except that I had some questions during the fermentation process. I posted them here and the replies basically ran me off from this forum for several years.......they were rude and bordered on arrogance. Seemed to me that most thought any attempt to make wine from Welches was looked down upon as unfitting by most who commented. Yooper was, I believe ,out of state and unavailable to comment at the time.
I have continued to make wine and brew beer and have done ok, had my glories and my failures but kept going always.
I came back across this site again and am pleased to see that the recipe is still being used and improved upon by many who just enjoy wine-making simply for the pleasure of being able to taste it and say "I made this and it ain't half bad". Point is we all have to start somewhere and even if we are experienced brewers or/and winemakers, the simple pleasures and efforts mean something too. I am glad to see some attitudes are changing and these simpler recipes being accepted as important in the learning process of our hobbies.
BTW Yooper, that wine finally finished and turned out OK .I have still got the recipe in my notebook and made several batches and different versions of it. Thanks:
Ron,ar

Would mixing some Welches with some fruit puree be suggested as a drinkable wine? A little mix and match blending sounds like it might be fun. Or fun to gift to hated distant relatives during the holiday season.

I've been making wine from the Welch's and from Old Orchard frozen juices and I think that they turn out damn fine... And Old Orchard has tons of different 100% juice concentrates to try--apple mango- blueberry pom-apple cherry-apple raspberry and so on. I used some of the apple raspberry to round up my wild black raspberry wine to fill the carboy and it really helped balance the taste out.
Let the so-called wine experts rant and rave over what they consider to be "not real wine" I'll just sit here sipping a very nice home wine made with white grape/peach Welch's and just laugh and giggle!:D

My first experience with homebrewing involved a couple cans of Welch's concentrate, some table sugar, a 1 gallon water jug, a balloon, and a few scoops of breadmaker yeast. Ah, to be 16 again... :cross:

Several years ago, maybe in '07 I made some wine using Yooper's Welches grape concentrate recipe. It went well except that I had some questions during the fermentation process. I posted them here and the replies basically ran me off from this forum for several years.......they were rude and bordered on arrogance. Seemed to me that most thought any attempt to make wine from Welches was looked down upon as unfitting by most who commented. Yooper was, I believe ,out of state and unavailable to comment at the time.
I have continued to make wine and brew beer and have done ok, had my glories and my failures but kept going always.
I came back across this site again and am pleased to see that the recipe is still being used and improved upon by many who just enjoy wine-making simply for the pleasure of being able to taste it and say "I made this and it ain't half bad". Point is we all have to start somewhere and even if we are experienced brewers or/and winemakers, the simple pleasures and efforts mean something too. I am glad to see some attitudes are changing and these simpler recipes being accepted as important in the learning process of our hobbies.
BTW Yooper, that wine finally finished and turned out OK .I have still got the recipe in my notebook and made several batches and different versions of it. Thanks:
Ron,ar

Glad you are back! :mug:

I made a pyment (1 gallon) using 2lbs of clover honey and 64 oz of welch's grape juice. It scored 43 in a BJCP comp and both judges stated it was the best pyment they've had.

Simple things can make great things!

:mug:

Haha...I got run off of a board years ago for making "champagne" from welch's. There were some real snobs with high running passions. I don't even know what board it was anymore...could of been here or elsewhere. Maybe I should make a wine agian. I have about 6 gal. of Edworts apfel going.

Back