Sanitizing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin86

Reaction score
Kind of a n00b question here...

So I got a Brewer's best kit, but it did not come with the one-step sanitizer I am oh-so-comfortable with. I don't have any reservations about using bleach and rinsing (heavily of course) but I'm not sure if it really is safe in the brewing process and if it is, what ratio I should use in terms of bleach to water.

Any other advice or techniques you folks use would be very helpful, as always

Brewer's Best brewing kit or a kit for a batch of beer? I don't think my brewing equipment came with a sanitizing solution and I just got some Iodophor...it's cheap and it works without having to rinse.

Kind of a n00b question here...

So I got a Brewer's best kit, but it did not come with the one-step sanitizer I am oh-so-comfortable with. I don't have any reservations about using bleach and rinsing (heavily of course) but I'm not sure if it really is safe in the brewing process and if it is, what ratio I should use in terms of bleach to water.

Any other advice or techniques you folks use would be very helpful, as always

I have used a Tablespoon per gallon effectively. A bit of white vinegar in the solution helps to cut the slimyness of the bleach. Rinse well.

From the website: http://homebeermaking.findfastr.com/home-beer-making/brewing-is-easy-the-hard-part-is-sanitizing

Bleach

Bleach is the granddaddy of sanitizers. It’s been around the longest, and the government uses it as a baseline to measure the effectiveness of other sanitizers. The killing agent in a bleach solution is something called hypochlorous acid, and it won’t form unless the solution has a pH under 8. The more expensive bleach brands you see in stores today add sodium hydroxide, or lye, to increase the shelf life of their product. The downside of this practice is that the pH of your bleach solution will not get below 8, and you won’t get the killing power of hypochlorous acid. The cheaper, store brand bleaches use less lye, so they are better for use as a sanitizer. But since they will have a shorter shelf life, get the smallest bottle possible. To make an effective sanitizer with bleach:

1. Add 1 oz. of bleach to 5 gallons of water
2. Add 1 oz. of vinegar to the bleach/water solution (WARNING! - DO NOT ADD VINEGAR DIRECTLY TO BLEACH! You will form chlorine gas, which is toxic! If this makes you nervous, then don’t use bleach.)

This will get the pH under 8, and form enough hypochlorous acid to effectively sanitize your equipment. At this concentration level, rinsing is not required, and only 30 seconds of contact time is necessary to reach sanitization levels.

Also, here is an MP3 link of an interview with Charlie Talley (the Star-San guy) talking about bleach and Star-San:

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

Jt - Maybe I just got lucky on my first batch then lol, because it came with a small bag of one-step sanitizer

Thank you to everyone for the help, I dropped my brew day back to make sure I had enough info, and I'm glad I came here!

Back