To build or not to build, that is the question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm on the fence about this and I wanted some opinions. I'm debating whether I should build a fermentation chamber, like Son of Fermentation Chamber, or just simply get a frig and a controller. One question I have is what about storing cornys and fermenters together - what are the drawbacks?

I'm on the fence about this and I wanted some opinions. I'm debating whether I should build a fermentation chamber, like Son of Fermentation Chamber, or just simple get a frig and a controller. One question I have is what about storing cornys and fermenters together - what are the drawbacks?

There are drawbacks?
I ferment and age in the same room, and I like my beer :)

A chest freezer or fridge with a controller is going to be more accurate and a lot less work than swapping frozen Pepsi bottles.
JMO - My vote is for a fridge/controller ;)

Get a chest freezer off of craigslist and put a controller on it. Get the biggest freezer you can fit. You will be very grateful that you did it.

I store beer in a freezer that has active fermentation going on, and there is no problem.

Great advice above. Craigslist is a great place to find things. I've gotten 2 different size chest freezers and a Sanyo 4912 that is now a dual tap kegerator off of CL much cheaper than if I had to buy them new.

For a fridge I got a side by side standard fridge. Works great, I can get 2 5 gallon buckets/carboys in the main side, and I store bottles on the freezer side. It keeps the bottles almost cold enough to drink when set around 70. A corny will also fit in there if neede be. You could also cut out the center section and put shelves in (thread somewhere).

Latest posts

Back