Quinoa ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alecoholic

Reaction score
I have a question about my Quinoa ESB that I made. First, here is the recipe.

Quinoa ESB (6 Gallons)

11 lbs. ESB Malt
.75 lbs 60 Lovibond Crystal Malt
2.25 lbs Quinoa

2 oz K. Goldings (90 mins)
.5 oz K. Goldings (15 mins), pinch Irish moss
.5 oz K. Goldings (10 mins)
.5 oz K. Goldings (shutdown)

WL 002 English Ale Yeast

Rinsed and then boiled Quinoa for 15 mins, then watered down to get 168 temp strike water and then added to mash. Mash was thick and ended up being 130 degrees, it sat for about a half hour as I heated up more strike water to bring the mash up to 158. Let mash rest at 158 for 90 mins.

There was no airlock activity after 24 hours so I popped the lid, there appeared to be fermenting yeast on top of the wort, so I left it alone. The airlock slowly bubbled for a week and then stopped. There was a huge 3 inch thick krausen, so I pulled a sample and it still appeared to have active yeast in it. I figured the airlock was leaking so I tossed it and put a new on one. Now that airlock has stopped bubbling so I popped the lid, there still a three inch thick krausen but the beer appears to be finished fermenting.

Both times there was a strong smell of phenols when I opened, I'm not sure how to describe it but it is an overpowering smell that there are some time hints in Belgian. It's not vinegar smell, band-aid smell, banana smell but paint thinner is the closest I can think. Although I don't see anything but yeast in the fermenter, I'm worried about contamination causing this smell. The smell has went down after the second time I popped so I'm hoping this will age out. I'm also wondering if this aroma is caused by the Quinoa as I have never used it before. When tasting the sample, there is a sharp taste similar to the smell that blends into a strong Quinoa aftertaste taste. There is no sour, bannana, vinegar, or band aid taste either, just paint thinner quinoa and bitterness.

My original plan was to ferment in primary for 3 weeks, then bottle but I don't want to bottle up paint thinner. What should I do to salvage this brew. Other than my original plan my options are: transfer to carboy and age, transfer to used wine barrel and age, or dump the brew.

Any thoughts?

Back