Cider Noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric1489

Reaction score
So I made a batch of cider yesterday and I am realizing that I may have made some pretty potent stuff on accident. My bag of Dextrose I thought was 2lbs, but I am thinking it was 2.5 lbs......I just threw what I had left in there and assumed it was 2lbs. So 1.070 OG with Wy3068 I am looking at 9% ABV expected. Is that correct?

If it is I want to bring it back down to about 2lbs dextrose. Should I just start another batch and use 1.5 lbs dextrose and then when it comes time to bottle just combine everything to bring the total 10 gallon sugar content to 4 lbs?

I was reading that someone stated that 2 lbs may even be too much. If that is the case I could make the blend batch with less than 1.5. Any suggestions on what to do?

ej

odds are excellent that both batches will end up different. When it comes time to blend if you decide to go that route...use a small cup and figure out what ratio tastes the best (ie 2:1, 1:1, 1:3 etc)...then blend. Who knows, the 9% cider could be interesting. Just make sure its not too warm or your gonna have a whole boatload of banana with that yeast.

Also for reference, edworts apfelwein which has been brewed by almost everyone on here at some point is 2# of dextrose...

Latest posts

Back