Quick fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky7s

Reaction score
Recipe = 5.25 gal:
10# ultra light malt extract
8 oz crystal 120L
8 oz caravienne
4 oz honey malt
2 oz special B
2 oz black roasted

Estimated OG 1.068
Estimated FG 1.018

Hit the OG right on the button. First 36 hours I had vigorous fermentation. At 36 hours had very little to none. Measured a 1.021. Fermentation seemed quick. I'll not bother again until the 7th day. Even if it remains at 1.021 I think I'm okay.

Any thoughts?

Higher temps result in more rapid fermentation and create fruity esters from the yeast. Cooler temps (62-68) are slower but ferment cleaner and more to the flavor profile of the yeast.

Why would you "bother" it on day 7? Leave it on the yeast for at least 3 weeks, (especially with that high of fermentation temp) so they can clean up some by-products that may create off flavors.

COLObrewer said:
Why would you "bother" it on day 7? Leave it on the yeast for at least 3 weeks, (especially with that high of fermentation temp) so they can clean up some by-products that may create off flavors.

+1

This is sound advice.

I will leave it be then. No need to stir, aerate or nothing?

I will leave it be then. No need to stir, aerate or nothing?

Aeration is introducing oxygen before fermentation. Oxidation is introducing oxygen after fermentation. The former is great for making beer. The latter is great for making beer taste like cardboard.

DO NOT STIR OR SHAKE NOW!

Back