Guildwars 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone going to be playing it?

I've played the beta's, looking forward to the headstart.

And, slightly off-topic, you gamers out there; what's your favorite beverage during game play? I usually like a strong dark beer to sip on.

Yes, I have played the GW1 and GW2 betas. It looks like it will be very fun.

Got in on the last beta and then the most recent Stress Test. I'm hoping they have another surprise stress test or two before the "pre" launch. Currently listening to the soundtrack I got from some guy on a streetcorner. I can't tell you his name, but his initials are TPB. I just watched a video of Felicia Day opening her Collectors Edition package (she voiced an Asura in the game and the game makers sent her this as a present). I am seriously thinking about upgrading just to get the figurine! (Yeah, it's useless, but still looks very cool!)

Not sure which server we'll be on, but look for a "Fartknocker". I'm thinking about using my main's WoW name in GW2.

I know what you mean. I got to play for most of the 4 hours and except for the very start it didn't crash or update.

There is a World vs. World PVP style match. I don't know much about it since I (as of yet) are not interested in PVP or Endgame, but it sounds like there would be only 1 name across the whole game, compared to WoW where different servers would allow the same name. We might see each other, depending. The odds would be extremely low unless we did end up on the same server.

I'm liking the game for several reasons:

Levels adjust so I can play with my friends who always seem to spend their after work hours leveling their toons.
Classes are less important to instances, so people are less likely to be blamed for a wipe
Loot is very much the same for all players and everyone gets it, so you avoid the loot ninjas.
Supposedly no grind element at endgame to keep people playing (and paying).
Mostly, no $15 fee each month. You pay if you want extra bag slots, or character slots.

For the price of the game I might buy a second account for my family.

My wife and I both play, our game time is how we unwind. So for me it's 30 a month, which is really appealing. That's like brewing 2 more times a month!

I like the game play, the world is large, the lore/story lines seems to be pretty good.
I did some pvp and I liked the little bit I tried, although I didn't care for the Hunger Royal that much on the last beta.
The level adjustment for each area is really cool IMO and how they can still get applicable loot to their level even in the low level zones, b/c the risk is still there.
The death mechanic is pretty cool, fighting for your life on the ground.
I haven't tried crafting anything yet.

I also thought the graphics were really good. Oh and the dynamic events similar to Rift are cool. Also I was reading how the outcome has an impact on the surroundings, if you save a village, the villagers will arm themselves and help next round etc. The difficulty also scales dependent on how many people participate, so it will (in theory) always be a challenge.

I do like the voice overs, but how it's only your main quest. SWTOR went over board IMO on the voices and EVERYTHING has a voice/speech.

There is just so much they did right with GW2, so far.

I've only played GW1 for a few hours a long time ago, but WoW was a much bigger draw for me then. I dropped WoW a year back and am looking forward to GW2, pre-purchased on the weekend actually, wish I had done it sooner so I could have gotten in on some of the Beta :(

In a lot of ways it is similar to WoW in that it's an MMO, so naturally there are those similarities.

But there are enough "improvements" in my opinion to make it playable for many months.

I think you will really like it Psych!

I've played GW1, and thought it was ok... but didn't really like the game play as much as true mmorpg's. GW1 and GW2 are nothing alike. I've played so many games; UO, EQ1, RoM, WoW, Rift, DN, SWTOR, D1, D2, D3, etc etc etc blah blah blah

I think GW2 will likely be a long time favorite. no sub fee's and they are blending a lot of the best attributes from all the major names.

The one down side I've found is the trading system. There is none. You have to mail items to one another. But that's a minor issue to me, you don't even have to find a mailbox anywhere. You can just click the icon on your UI and you can get your mail. Still it's a little weird to not be able to directly trade people. They said this method was chosen to alleviate trade scams,so now you have to COD to trade for gold.

I found the way Guilds (as in the internal group or band of people, not the name of the game) to be interesting.

A character can belong to multiple guilds, but only represent 1 at a time. So you can join and be apart of a number to guilds, but select which one you want to represent through the guild page.

I've played GW1, and thought it was ok... but didn't really like the game play as much as true mmorpg's. GW1 and GW2 are nothing alike. I've played so many games; UO, EQ1, RoM, WoW, Rift, DN, SWTOR, D1, D2, D3, etc etc etc blah blah blah

I think GW2 will likely be a long time favorite. no sub fee's and they are blending a lot of the best attributes from all the major names.

The one down side I've found is the trading system. There is none. You have to mail items to one another. But that's a minor issue to me, you don't even have to find a mailbox anywhere. You can just click the icon on your UI and you can get your mail. Still it's a little weird to not be able to directly trade people. They said this method was chosen to alleviate trade scams,so now you have to COD to trade for gold.

You can mail your items to the person and they show in in seconds. So it's almost just like the usual trade. I kind of like what I've seen of the auction house though. It will take some getting used to, but being able to do auctions from anywhere is a nice feature.

It is fast, and like you mentioned you can access it from anywhere. However if you sell items on the AH, if I remember correctly you have to go to the AH trader dude (I forget his name) to get your money.

I am debating whether or not I should get this game. I hope they come out with some kind of free trial. What really interests me is the open PvP which is similar to DAoC RvR.

I am debating whether or not I should get this game. I hope they come out with some kind of free trial. What really interests me is the open PvP which is similar to DAoC RvR.

I don't expect the free trials to be for quite a while. I'm trying to remember if they did any free trials for GW1...

The open world vs world pvp sounds pretty cool, and does interest me as well.

Which come to think of it, I don't think they have tested that yet...

That would be an awesome stress test, Here's to hoping :mug:

I don't expect the free trials to be for quite a while. I'm trying to remember if they did any free trials for GW1...

The open world vs world pvp sounds pretty cool, and does interest me as well.

Which come to think of it, I don't think they have tested that yet...

That would be an awesome stress test, Here's to hoping :mug:

I signed up for the beta a long time ago but never got an invite. Hopefully they do another beta weekend before it launches.

It is fast, and like you mentioned you can access it from anywhere. However if you sell items on the AH, if I remember correctly you have to go to the AH trader dude (I forget his name) to get your money.

I may be wrong, but I think you can bid on stuff from wherever you are, and I *think* you get paid in the mail, but if you buy stuff, then you have to go to the Trading Post to pick it up. I didn't get much time to mess with that stuff. Last Beta weekend I shared my account with a friend and spent my time trying different races and professions.

I signed up for the beta a long time ago but never got an invite. Hopefully they do another beta weekend before it launches.

There will be no more Betas before it launches, but if you pre-purchase you can get in on any stress tests I believe. Last one was last Thursday. They announced it the night before I think. 4 hours of play time starting noon Pacific.

Oh, I just remembered I also like to create a HOT female character and name her Jaylbate. Keep an eye out for her! (Might be hard to find in GW2 because there are SO MANY hot females in the games!)

;)

I am thinking about putting my accounts (the wife and I) and Sorrower's Furnace. The 3 day head start is going to be EPIC.

I never tried any of the gw's tho i have been a long standing member of the wow community since 06

I am thinking about putting my accounts (the wife and I) and Sorrower's Furnace. The 3 day head start is going to be EPIC.

That was supposed to be our server for the last Beta, but by the time I got set up to play it was full.

Unless you guys know people there, you should start with us on Ehmry Bay, always room for more brewers :) :tank:. Same goes for you Homer!

I can't say which server we'll be able to get on. Don't want a low pop server, but I'll have to ask my homies.

I think the one we will try to pick is the one with the shortest and easiest name. One of my friends struggles to read.

I went with a high but not full server for the beta's. Rumor has it they are rolling out more servers for launch (which I would expect). I'm also not sure how the overflow servers will work at launch. Will be interesting, I haven't played a game where you can que to play while playing on a separate server.

Yeah I'm super pumped about it, for sure. The lack of a monthly fee really gives it that easy breezy feel. I might wind up playing it non-stop, sure, but I COULD stop for a month without thinking I'm wasting money.

Real shame the stress test today is smack during work hours :(

I will probably pick this up. I'm frustrated with D3.. got my character geared up enough to destroy A1&2 Inferno but I get destroyed in A3. I refuse to spend money on gold too so I don't think I'll ever get there because I'm done farming A1&2 I'm beginning to hate the game already lol.

I'm done farming.

FTW edit.

This is what I liked about GW2. Farming is just silly or it seems to be IMHO. By the time you get that "epic drop" you have out leveled it. I tried to farm some and discovered that if you just play through the zone and take what you get you will be just as well of as the guy killing the same creatures in the area for hours on end...

I will probably pick this up. I'm frustrated with D3.. got my character geared up enough to destroy A1&2 Inferno but I get destroyed in A3. I refuse to spend money on gold too so I don't think I'll ever get there because I'm done farming A1&2 I'm beginning to hate the game already lol.

I was in the same boat. Spent way to much time just trying to farm the gear to progress. Became un-fun quickly. I really enjoyed D3 all the way through hell mode.

I played through mid teen levels in a few different characters in GW2 beta, and it never once seemed grindey. There were frequently events happening which broke up the quests you were working on, giving distractions. When you worked on the events, I usually ended up accomplishing the quests simultaneously because of the things I was already doing in the area.

Also the leveling seemed slow, which brings back fond memories of old games passed.

They had a few stress test over the past several days. I hope they continue this trend. I missed the last two due to being on North Manitou Island. Then again, I don't really need an interruption in getting my chores done.

Yeah they have had a number of stress tests. I've been able to play for a little bit in two of them. Not really enough time to actually do much, but I was able to play around with some video capturing software (Fraps) and explore some of the game menu's a bit more.

I'm actually using the kick start deadline as a motivator to accomplish all the little projects I have laying around. Trying to get a bunch of stuff completed so I don't feel the pressure when I want to sit back, drink a beer and play!

I'm sure you all know this, but if you follow them on Facebook they announce all their stress tests there.

Stress test TONIGHT! Between noon and 4 PM PACIFIC (3-7 pm Eastern, except you flunkies who don't follow DST rules).

Also, they re-iterated that people who had PRE-PURCHASED the game will get in 3 days before the general release on August 25th at Midnight PACIFIC TIME! They also mentioned that it will be a rolling start, so there is a chance you could get in 3 HOURS BEFORE THIS TIME!

Get on their twitter page for more updates and links to more information.

Well, I'm outta here. I gotta go play some video games and get the kids started on dinner. I might come back to work later and install that UPS on the new server...

Back