CARB ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNOYES88

Reaction score
I'm doing my first 5 gallon batch of cider. I transfered to my secondary carboy last night. Original reading before going into the primary was 1.060 and reading after putting it into the secondary was 1.008. Fermentation seems to be actually going faster now that when it was in the primary.

I'm looking to get a fizzy cider once bottled and aged.

I'm using a belgian strong ale yeast that is supposed to ferment up to 12-13 percent ABV. What should the hydrometer reading be at when bottling? Ive heard 1.005 to 1.000. OR how many bubbles per minute? Or is there a better way to figure this out?

HELPPP :tank:

ANY HELP OR ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!

ooooh...watch the "bubbles per minute" talk, them's fighting words around here sometimes. ha.
when you racked, you jostled things up a bit and got the yeasties to get active again and finish chomping things down. its' good and it usually blows at any remaining hydrogen sulfide.
like everything else, three identical hydrometer readings in a row on three different days will tell you when fermentation has stopped. i've never used that yeast before, but if it can take it all the way down to 1.000, way to go! please let me know if you do hit that, because i'll try it out if it can dry it down that much.

It should finish dry with a gravity slightly below 1.000 before you add priming sugars (if you plan to carbonate it).

Medsen, do you think belgian strong ale yeast will take it that low? i always use various white wine yeasts and sometimes champagne yeasts for my ciders because i like them bone dry.

It should. The starting gravity is only 1.060 so the ABV will be about 9% and most Belgian ale yeast should be able to accomplish that without too much trouble.

Sorry about the ignorance of the B word! lol. So if it gets down to 1.000 which I believe it will, will our little yeast friends have enough strength to produce more carb adding the priming sugar? Plus this yeast strain is rated for between 11 and 13 ABV. Will there be too much alcohol for them to kick start and carbonate my bottles?

Plus if you guys want to know I used in this concoction: 4 gallons organic unpreserved, unsweetened apple juice, half gallon motts apple juice from concentrate, disolved 1 one lb bag of brown sugar + 1 pint raw honey + half lb of unsulfated raisins in half gallon of another motts apple juice + spring water (heated not boiled).

I plan on back sweetening slightly with xylitol.

Sorry about the ignorance of the B word! lol. So if it gets down to 1.000 which I believe it will, will our little yeast friends have enough strength to produce more carb adding the priming sugar? Plus this yeast strain is rated for between 11 and 13 ABV. Will there be too much alcohol for them to kick start and carbonate my bottles?

It should get lower than 1.000, maybe even to .990, so don't bottle it until it's stable and clear!

You should be able to bottle carbonate it without any problems.

Back