Saison problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neither one of the yeasts in hthat recipe are Saison yeasts.

You racked WAY too early, and you're probably going to need to pitch more yeast.

Not sure which yeast you used, but that's the key indicator here. Saison yeast strains define the style.

Saison yeasts (WLP565, WLP566, WLP568, Wyeast 3724, etc) are designed to be fermented at generally high temperatures (75-80F), and require a few tricks to get it to attenuate fully.

A "Proper" saison should finish fairly dry, around 1.008 - 1.011 or so.

I would try pitching some more saison yeast with a proper starter, and keeping that sucker in the 75-80F degree range. If you don't have a saison strain available, you could add some WLP001 to help get things going.

For more info about saisons, try listening to the "Brew your own" radio show on Saison's.

I'll look into some of that 3711. I've never done a starter before, my understanding is I should mix up some sugar and water and pitch the yeast into it to give the little buggers a head start. Anything else I should do?

I'll look into some of that 3711. I've never done a starter before, my understanding is I should mix up some sugar and water and pitch the yeast into it to give the little buggers a head start. Anything else I should do?

Yes. Put the sugar down and step away from the starter! :D

Use DME and water to make your starter. You don't want to train the little buggers to just eat simple sugar or they won't eat up the maltose (complex sugar) as well as they should and you can have this same issue with sluggish and/or stuck ferments.

If you don't know how to make a starter, I think DeathBrewer said it best when he said:
YeastStarterChart.jpg

The Wyeast French Saison IS a monster but it can tolerate cooler temps. If you you used the Belgian Saison strain, it likes to ferment upwards of 70*; otherwise it will just quit.

The Wyeast French Saison IS a monster but it can tolerate cooler temps. If you you used the Belgian Saison strain, it likes to ferment upwards of 70*; otherwise it will just quit.

Thanks for the heads up. I got that from the Jamil Show link but didn't realize that the French strain would ferment out dry at lower temperatures. I guess that is what I need. Looks like I'll put an order in pronto.

Also, thanks for the great explanation of making a starter ChshreCat.

Go for the 3711, not the other Wyeast saison. The other one is finicky and slow. 3711 just rips through the wort.

Thanks for the heads up. I got that from the Jamil Show link but didn't realize that the French strain would ferment out dry at lower temperatures. I guess that is what I need. Looks like I'll put an order in pronto.

Also, thanks for the great explanation of making a starter ChshreCat.

Normally I would say to throw a heating pad on that carboy, wrap it in a sweater or blanket, and fire the yeast back up. But since you've already racked..... The Belgian and French strains taste pretty similar IMO, so go for the French and finish it up. Good luck and enjoy that Saison.

The 3711 does look good but the only place I've been able to find it is NorthernBrewer. MoreBeer has a free shipping deal going on, but all I could fins for saison yeast was WLP565. Will this do it for me?

If you want to order from MB, I'd give them a call. 3711 was just added to the year-round lineup. I know they have it at my LHBS, but it's not on their website yet either. Worth a shot.

Went to the LHBS yesterday night to pick up some yeast, and the owner suggested I try some yeast nutrient. $3 for enough for about 75 gal, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Dropped a tsp of it in last night and gave it a swish with the wisk. Checked this morning and fermentation seems to have started back up. I'll check in a few days to see if the gravity has changed.

Back