Sick of Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Reaction score
I made a couple of batches and enjoyed them for the most part, but now I'm kind of over the taste of it. Plus it's hangover juice because of all the added sugar. Does anyone have any alternate recipes they could suggest?

This is the point at which Brandon O comes on and extols the virtues of Graff, a malted, slightly hopped cider, explaining how it tastes better, smells better, and looks better than apfelwein. Plus it will shine your car, make you irresistible to women, reverse male pattern baldness, and build strong bones and healthy teeth. :D

Seriously, graff is a delicious alternative to apfelwein. I enjoy both. You should try a batch and see for yourself.

You can make just about any wine from about any non-preservative source - fresh or frozen fruits and some veggies, juice, and some canned fruits. It isn't that difficult. I'm currently ferementing up red bell peppers and peaches, and my husband thinks it has the most potential. So look around you and think about what you like to eat an potentially try to make it into a wine, and then we will point you towards a recipe and/or help you develop one.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. That stuff sounds good. Any idea what kind of alcohol percentage I'll end up with?

And stash any leftover Apfelwein in a cool, dry place. In a year or two, you will appreciate it.

I had the last of my Apfelwein that was almost 2 years old a few weeks ago. It tasted extra yeasty for some reason...I think I prefer it before it gets to the 1 year mark.

I have a couple of recipes for common country wines- like banana wine, dandelion apple wine (not apfelwein), welch's grape juice wine, etc. If you add sugar to 1.085-1.100, you can plan on 12-14% ABV. The higher the ABV, the longer it takes to mellow, though!

Check out "The Joy of Home Winemaking" by Terry Garey--lots of good recipes there!

Back