Any brew-software for Android?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baja_Brewer

Reaction score
This may be a long shot, as I know that the Android OS is not the most popular thing in the world, yet, but I was wondering if anyone had developed or managed to get their hands on brewing software for their Android phone? I'll be looking around the app store once I get my phone (HTC G1, unlocked, in the mail :ban:) but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with brew programs on these phones yet?

Links would be wonderful too!

I wrote one for my G1, but it's definitely not suitable for public consumption. I'll get around to cleaning it up someday...

Glad some others are on the same page! I'm stoked to be getting mine. Good to know... we'll have to collaborate if we find/write something.

I have been thinking of writing one too... alas other software projects are in the way. I don't think there are any yet. There are a few for iPhone. I think android is going to get a lot more popular in the next 12 months.

It's on my list of things to write once I actually get an Android phone to play with... I have the SDK up and running, but not having the phone is de-motivating me :(

Just thought I'd say hello from my new Dream. :D

ARGH! I need a SIM card with a data plan to initially use my G1 and no one around here has one!! I'll ask around at work tomorrow. I'll have it running in a few days.

I have been thinking of writing one too... alas other software projects are in the way. I don't think there are any yet. There are a few for iPhone. I think android is going to get a lot more popular in the next 12 months.

Agreed. And I can't wait. I'm not a conspiracy theory person so I'm not greatly concerned about what google knows about me. I can't wait til Hero prices come down, and Samsung launches their phone(s), etc. etc... Apple be damned!

I just loaded the latest CyanogenMod Android ROM on my G1. It's like a completely new phone with an Exchange ActiveSync client, IPSec VPN, and the ability to load/run apps from SD. The Android dev community is positively amazing.

Anyone have any screen protectors they can recommend? Or should I just pick up a generic cheap one? I put mine in my pocket yesterday and it scratched, just like that...****tyyyyy

For now, but not for long. Sprint and Verizon are lined up to get at least 1 model, if not 2 each by year end. I frequent Android Phone for all my latest info.

I'm sure Verizon will cripple the **** out of it.

There are three different type of "google" phones that should be available, depending on what the phone maker agreed to do/endorse with google/android... From there I imagine the company that will be using the phone on their network gets some say... and if they do I think you're right in that Verizon will **** it over. Its a shame too cause I get good verizon coverage, but I've decided to do my best and go with GSM phones from now on because CDMA carriers suck

I have been looking for some Android-based brewing software myself. I work for T-Mobile so I am a big promoter of Android.

It would be really easy to make something. what are the main functions you would want? i don't know the calculations/formula for a lot of these things, but if they are spoon fed to me I can hack together a decent app. I'm working on another NON-BREWING (lame I know) android app right now.

what I really want is BeerXML support, through email attachments and over network share. With like a step by step checklist to check off brewing steps during brew day. That is when I need the data the most. I want help with temperature adjustments, hydro adjustments, and ideally recipe and inventory management (but that could come later).

Why don't we just flesh them out here? At the very least we'd want a calculator, I'd say multi-function so we can do hydro adjustment, IBU, and gravity.

A running IBU calc would be rather cool. Input preboil gravity, volume, boil off rate, and hops additions, then use Tinseth's formula to provide a real time IBU approximation as the boil progresses (refresh every 5-10 seconds). While it wouldn't be perfect nor of great utility, it would be pretty interesting to watch.

I'm holding out for the Hero on Sprint. This is definitely something I'd be interested in if it ever gets off the ground.

Did anyone ever make one? Or find one?
If not, I'm getting the Droid Friday, and I'm currently unemployed so this may be a great project for me.
If I do do(Hehehe, doo-doo) it, I'd want some input on what functions(As someone else mentioned) people would like implemented.
I know I wish for something like Beer Smith for the iPhone. I'd like to have an import feature and a database for recipes(Might be easiest to just have an import feature for the database)
That Homebrew Math site is quite handy. I may just implement all(or most) of those and separate them into tabs.
Any thoughts or input?

Just checked the Market and there are 3 apps that come up for beer... And non of them related to brewing! Sounds like a niche needs to be filled; I'll start working on something this weekend. My first app I want to make is going to be a timer for keeping track of additions during the brew process. Stay tuned :)

When I search for beer in the market place, I get many hits. One of them is called Brewing Calculator. It says:

Provides the following calculators:
-Strike Temperature
-Water heating time
-Dilution
-Batch Sparge and Boil Volume

I believe it costs 2 pounds ($3ish?) and have not tried it.

I'm on board with developing something better and free though.

Whatever I make will be free. Or at least cheap. :p If its like the iPhone market, you can create discounts. If you can for the Android market, have no fear, it'll be free for HBT.
I'm going to start working on an app in the next few days.

Whatever I make will be free. Or at least cheap. :p If its like the iPhone market, you can create discounts. If you can for the Android market, have no fear, it'll be free for HBT.
I'm going to start working on an app in the next few days.

If you're inclined, you could set up a github or sourceforge project. That way, other people who are interested in helping contribute could work on it as well.

When I search for beer in the market place, I get many hits. One of them is called Brewing Calculator. It says:

Provides the following calculators:
-Strike Temperature
-Water heating time
-Dilution
-Batch Sparge and Boil Volume

I believe it costs 2 pounds ($3ish?) and have not tried it.

I'm on board with developing something better and free though.

Ah, I searched for 'brew' and got three non-brewing related apps. That calculator appears to be the only one actually related to brewing.

I know this is a very very very longshot, but if the program could be made to read beersmith files and set up a timer for hop additions and stuff, I would pay about 10 bucks for something like that. Tabs are an excellent idea too... I can't wait to see what people come up with.

Ya, it would be nice if it could interface with a brewing software or at least have a way of developing recipes via a computer. It would probably be easier to do with Qbrew though since its open source. It could be difficult though.

If we wanted to work on something as a group, we could set up a google code project. Also, FWIW I really like mercurial for distributed version control. I don't know what others prefer.

Just kicking ideas out. I'm no expert in app development, but I'm sure I could contribute.

I set up my computer to develop Android. I don't know why, but its only showing up for 1.5 and 1.6. I was hoping to get it to run on 2.0.
I'm going to read through some tutorials and hopefully get started on it in the next few days. Once I have something, I'll set up a Google Code page, so whoever wants to help, can.
Has anyone here developed Android apps?

Back