Carbonation Levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I've read that the amount of sugars needed for X amount of carbonation varies by volume. As I batch prime I'm wondering how it impacts the 12 oz bottles I usually bottle in with the various 22-24 oz bottles I have. Is this enough volume change to notice a difference?

On a separate note I'm wondering how the bottling wand I use works when using it for the larger bottles. Does it give the correct amount of headspace despite the difference or is the difference just negligible?

Can anyone help with this? I'm planning on bottling a few in bombers, which I've never used before, to send out and don't want a disappointing or terrible level of carbonation.

I've done batches where I bottled with 12 oz bottles and 22 oz bottles (I assume this is what you mean by bomber). I didn't change how much sugar I added, just did what I normally do for 12 oz bottles. I've had no issues with carbonation. In terms of headspace I think your bottling wand is made for 12 oz bottles so you may not have enough head space in the larger bottles. I've seen some people say it doesn't make a difference when doing 12 or 22 oz bottles. For the larger bottles I usually fill it up and leave about half an inch from the top before I pull out the wand. I haven't had any issues this far!

Cheers!

As long as you're getting equal distribution of the the priming sugar in your bottling bucket (generally by racking over the solution) the amount of sugar doesn't need to be adjusted. I do give bombers a little bit extra time, both in and out if the fridge for it to carbonate though that is just a little insurance in my opinion.

I fill both 12's & 22's with a bottling wand, and make no accommodation because of bottle size. Amount of headspace is less important than most people think. It only becomes a problem if you have excessive headspace, which will have more O2 that can lead to oxidation, and a slight decrease in carbonation level. There really isn't a significant downside to low headspace.

Brew on :mug:

Bulk priming in a bottling bucket negates any worries about bottle size. And filling the bottle to the top with the bottling wand, then pulling up an inch or two to stop the flow. Pulling it out creates the perfect head space by way of volume displacement.

Back