Dogfish Head Ale House Visit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
Friend and I visited this place and will be going back for sure. Eventhough Dogfish Head can tend to be on the too sweet side, its nice to try some very interesting/great beers and improve upon them myself. I'll start with the more interesting beer I tried - they call it an occasional rarity.
1. Burton Baton: Commerical Description "A blend of oak-aged English strong ale and our 90 Minute I.P.A.. Citrus notes from Northwestern hops meld with vanilla notes from the oak. 10.0+% abv"
My review: Little to no head poured from bottle into snifter-like glass. I did not take notes at the time, but deep amber in color. First sip was cold and excellent but very malty-sweet. The citrusy/floral hops came throuh at the end and were really nice, they gave the beer a lighter finish that balanced the sweetness a little. The problem was that this is a 10% sipper and the beer warmed up, when this happened the sledgehammer of malt and sweetness completely over-shadowed the citrusy hop flavor and aroma. I really like the first few sips, the malty/vanilla/sweet(but too sweet when cold) paired very well with the citrusy hops - an unusual but good combination IMHO if only the balance had continued as the beer warmed a bit. I thought of the_birds dislike of many of their beers b/c they are too sweet - this was an example, although it made me feel better about my 1st barleywine:D (too sweet).
2. Chicory Stout (draft)- b/c of the long review above this will be short. Nice stout with little recognizable chicory flavor, on the malty sweet side but definitely not overly so, complex flavors of coffee and roasted grain but all subtle and mixed well. Easy drinking stout, good sweet roast aroma, reall nicely paired w/the below sandwich.
3. Not beer - 90min IPA Battered Grouper Sandwich -excellent sandwich w/the stout, served on really intense pumpernickel bread. Would definitely get again.

Did you visit the Alehouse in Gaithersburg? That's one of my fave places to go because it's so close by and it's one of the few local places to get decent beer. I'll have to try the IPA grouper next time!:mug:

Orpheus said:
Did you visit the Alehouse in Gaithersburg? That's one of my fave places to go because it's so close by and it's one of the few local places to get decent beer. I'll have to try the IPA grouper next time!:mug:

Yeah that was the one, really enjoyed it and will definitely being going back soon.

Love this place; although I've never been to the Gaithersburg location I've been to the Rehobeth location many times.

DFH is definitely one of my favorite brewers; not THE favorite, but its up there. I like breweries who push the limits and do different things... To me, it's worth the "overpriced" cry I hear from many on the DFH beers.

The food is superb too. Never had a bad meal there. There crab bisque has got to be the best soup I've ever had... :)

I love the 90 Min IPA, and I love Grouper....and G-burg is only an hour away

SilkkyBrew said:
Love this place; although I've never been to the Gaithersburg location I've been to the Rehobeth location many times.

When you were at the Rehobeth one, did you ever eat outside? If so, did you realize the shade is from a canopy of hop plants. I was a good 15 minutes into my lunch before I actually took note. And you are right, the food is actually killer. First brew pub where the food is as good as the beer.

I really want to go there in October....why then, I have no idea, but probably won't eat outside.

I really do love their hoppy beers

Their beer dinners should be starting in October. In the past they have been on Sunday nights, which stinks, but it's when it's slowest in the brewpub. I'm anxiously waiting for the schedule to come out. $39 for 3 to 4 beers and normally 4 courses. It can't be beat!

I'll be in Rehoboth again September 28 - 30 and plan on making yet another visit (I think this is #4 or 5 in the past 9 months)... Hoping there may be one of these "beer dinners" on that weekend. Keep me posted on that! :)

I visited this one last year as I was traveling through town. I had the 90 min along with a most righteous spicy seafood pasta dish. Excellent combo.

We will be visiting the Rehobeth location again this September. We stopped there last Sept. while vacationing in OceanCity. We decided on our way home we were definately going back. We were honored with a special private tasting from "Randall".

Latest posts

Back