How long after force carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know, I know....

Without starting a whole thread on whether or not one should force carb homebrew to begin with, I am curious how long it should take after cranking up the PSI and gently shaking it. Are we talking a few hours, days, or weeks. :mug:

Background info: I fermented this hefe for 9 days and left it in the secondary for a little over a week. Now it's in the keg and I'm trying to force carb it so that I can enjoy it this weekend. Thoughts?:confused:

If you shake it with the pressure set for the level of carbonation you want, it takes less than 15 minutes.
After that, you'll be about 98% where you want to be.
It's never good right after you shake it. Also, you have to blow down the keg if you have a short beer out hose, and there is always tons of foam after shaking.
Let it sit for a day, then try it.
Or..........put your maintenance pressure on and let sit for 7 days = perfect.

I just tapped a keg of HW that I kegged on 21 April. I primed w/1/2 C corn sugar and put it on 25 psi (once) shook it for 3 mins, and it's been room temp since yesterday. I put it in the fridge and, like I said, just tapped it. It is nicely carbed (bubbles rising) and has a nice head. I am satisfied.

17 days is still pretty quick even for a HW...I doubt if it's ready even though you are.

Back