CT Brewers Check-In

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Live in Bristol, relatively new to brewing, on all grain now.

LHBS is Brew and Wine Hobby in East Hartford , very friendly and helpful.

There is a newish brew club, Fermenters of Central Connecticut, that meets at Brew and Wine Hobby on the second Thursday of every month around 6:30PM.

Poobah58 said:
Can't read a word of it but looks like your OK. What is that device in the upper left corner that has a hot and a ground wire? You should probably fuse the other leg of the 220 line. Not crazy where he placed the other fuse either. The lines going to the SSR and elements are not fused! Maybe it's done externally before it gets into the panel?

Hey poobah how did you attach your elements to your kettles? I bought the weldless from bargainfittings but I may try to silver solder the locknut. Going to practice on some scrap metal this weekend

Hey poobah how did you attach your elements to your kettles? I bought the weldless from bargainfittings but I may try to silver solder the locknut. Going to practice on some scrap metal this weekend
I went weldless. I'm trying to find someone in New Milford that can weld stainless for my new pot!

Hey guy's Lenny from stamford cheking in looking for anyone doing a bulk grain purchase. I'd be interested in buying a few sacks.

Scott from Stamford here. I could use 2-3 bags. There was a group buy in Ct about a month ago, but that was about 1.5hrs away. I am also monitoring the NYC bulk buy group, that may end up being the closest to Fairfield county.

been brewing for 1 year as of today 4.13.12 doing all grain with electric keggles in the basement. In the next few months I would like to start slanting yeast to build up some stock.

next brew should be Sunday morning, 10g of Centennial Blond by Biermuncher

Cheers

Brewer from Vernon, but setup is in Stafford. Been brewing for a little over 1 year now. I brew under Bottom-Side-Up Brewing Co. with my brother and his fiance at their place in Stafford. We recently did a Belgian Dark Wit and this coming weekend is an apricot blonde.

Hello Bottom Side Up!

Also in Vernon here, the apricot blonde sounds great, i tasted a few apricot beers at the nyc craft beer fest and they were all without exception amazing. Dogfish head even had one :)

Hi Lenny. I'm Westport and happy to join in on any bulk orders. What grains did you have in mind?

Scott from Stamford here. I could use 2-3 bags. There was a group buy in Ct about a month ago, but that was about 1.5hrs away. I am also monitoring the NYC bulk buy group, that may end up being the closest to Fairfield county.

been brewing for 1 year as of today 4.13.12 doing all grain with electric keggles in the basement. In the next few months I would like to start slanting yeast to build up some stock.

next brew should be Sunday morning, 10g of Centennial Blond by Biermuncher

Cheers

Hey guy's if we could get a pallet order together we could have north country drop ship to Stamford. Ask around and I'll contact North country about shipping. Also about a mixed pallet ( 2 row, pilsner, ETC). Just brewed a hitchino nest white. Awsome brew, in the secondary now can't wait to bottle!!

As I understand North County requires an account, not sure what it takes to open one though. A full pallet is 42 bags and the drop off location need a loading dock. Let us know what North county says.

If this gets going we will move it to the ct group buy thread. I expect the first group buy in any given area is the hardest to get going, after that it should be easy to fill a pallet.

North County isn't accepting homebrewer accounts anymore... But I think Poohbah has one... I think I am set on bulk grain for now. But will be interested in the fall...

I called country malt and was told they wont sell to us!!! Even a full pallet buy did'nt sway them. If poobah has an account I might be able to find a drop off point. I'd like 4 sacks but what price are the grains? Any price sheets? I just bought a seasonal kit from Northern the french Bier du farm. Gonna brew it 2nd weekend in May.

I have an account but you need to order 30-40 bags to make it worth while. It's about $100 to ship a pallet (2000#). Bags range from $30 to $45. I'm set for a while so you'll have to organize and collect if you want to proceed...

tlaps, I was at Coalhouse Pizza last night. 52 taps...whoot!!!!

Hey poobah thanks for the info I'll start looking for enough guy's to fill a pallet. If your not busy on May 1st there is a homebrewing competition at coalhouse. Mark and Tess from maltose express are comming down to judge stouts and porters. I'm going with my brewing bud and will see what kind of response we get with a pallet order. Let me know if your comming and we'll "hit those taps". Anyone reading this come on down, Coalhouse homebrewers want to meet you.

Hey poobah thanks for the info I'll start looking for enough guy's to fill a pallet. If your not busy on May 1st there is a homebrewing competition at coalhouse. Mark and Tess from maltose express are comming down to judge stouts and porters. I'm going with my brewing bud and will see what kind of response we get with a pallet order. Let me know if your comming and we'll "hit those taps". Anyone reading this come on down, Coalhouse homebrewers want to meet you.
Deadline was last Saturday. My intention was to enter the competition. I went to pour 2 bottles of stout and killed the keg filling the first bottle! We went anyway. My Mexican Lager finished 1st in their August competition.....

Groton check-in. I just got my own propane tank and water filter, so I can stop borrowing my neighbor's. I've got a cooler mash tun, Blichmann Boilermaker, and a DIY kettle in some sort of mishmashed tiered setup.

I try to brew at least once a month. If anyone ever wants to do a brewday, learn to do AG, or just hang out while brewing, I'm open when the Navy doesn't take me away.

Well I guess I may as well throw myself into this mix. Morris CT here, working on building my all grain system, I really want to go E-brew, but for now to keep it budget have to go propane...but its a 30 gallon BK, 30 Gallon MT, and a 20 gallon HLT. ill get some pics going during the build.

BB

What's the submission deadline for that? Never entered any contests... Might give it a whirl!

Details:
http://whatsbrewingatmaltose.com/2012/05/04/pale-ale-and-ipa-contest/

Pale Ale and IPA contest
BY MARKTESS, ON MAY 4TH, 2012
Maltose Express and Coal House Pizza are having a Pale Ale and India Pale Ale contest! The contest is free and it is a great way to get feed back on your beer. Judging will be by certified BJCP judges. The contest will be held on June 19th at Coal House and the deadline for entries is June 9th. Please call Maltose with any questions. 203-452-7332

Entry forms are available here under the order forms tab.
Also info at: http://coalhousepizza.com/

hey guys,

Clinton, CT over here...

have a bunch of stuffed brewed or in the works.

currently fermenting: 5 gallons of apfelwein, 5 gallons of english nut brown, 5 gallons of my own blisteringly hoppy ipa, 11 gallons of a soon to be chocolate cherry porter

currently kegged: unearthly clone, gulden draak clone, hop head red clone

What's everybody in ct using to control their fermentation temps? Im looking to pull the trigger on a chest freezer for a ferm chamber. I have a eBay temp controller ready to go. And I really want to start lagering ASAP.

What's everybody in ct using to control their fermentation temps? Im looking to pull the trigger on a chest freezer for a ferm chamber. I have a eBay temp controller ready to go. And I really want to start lagering ASAP.

I had been using an old chest freezer for fermenting in. It worked good with the external thermostat hooked up. Unfortunately, it was circa 1970s and terribly inefficient. I junked it a few months back, thinking I'd be replacing it sooner than now. Until it's replaced, I'm curtailing my brewing unless there are more forgiving yeasts. I have a saison fermenting right now.

My basement rarely gets above 70 in the summer so I just go ales and just lager in the winter... But have been keeping an eye on craigslist for a chest freezer, would love to have more control over ferm temps.

Converted upright freezer...

Fridge 008_.JPG

Fridge 001.jpg

Fridge 007.jpg

Kegged 5 gallons of Apfelwein, 5 gallons of chocolate cherry porter (6lbs of cherry) and 5 gallons of chocolate cherry porter (3lbs of cherry)

Oh and racked 5 gallons of my own made ipa onto some whole leaf cascade And Amarillo pellets for a week before kegging that.

Kegerator is almost done. Should be all but complete this weekend and ready for stain

I'm here in Groton with a freshly bottled / kegged batch of Wit. My really cool neighbor next door in base housing got me to start doing all grain with this batch.:mug:

Kegged 5 gallons of Apfelwein, 5 gallons of chocolate cherry porter (6lbs of cherry) and 5 gallons of chocolate cherry porter (3lbs of cherry)

Oh and racked 5 gallons of my own made ipa onto some whole leaf cascade And Amarillo pellets for a week before kegging that.

Kegerator is almost done. Should be all but complete this weekend and ready for stain

Do you have pics of your kegerator?

I'm here in Groton with a freshly bottled / kegged batch of Wit. My really cool neighbor next door in base housing got me to start doing all grain with this batch.:mug:

Nice!!

Mods, sorry if this is double-posting of some type.

I'm brewing this Saturday, and I'd love for anyone in the area to come join me. Bring some brews, or your own gear and we'll do multiple batches. I've got a 20G Blichmann, 17.5 Gallon Rubbermaid Mash Tun, and a Keggle that I'll be using. On the side, I have a 5 Gallon mashed-together kettle that someone could use, plus other assorted random bits of gear.

Do you have pics of your kegerator?

None just yet. My fathers assisting with most of the construction build up in mass. I'm headed up there Saturday to try and finish it up. Then it's just running the tap lines and wiring up the controller and it's good to go!

7.2 cubic ft freezer, 4 perlick ss faucets, love electronic controller, copper paneling, ss drip trays. Stained oak, casters etc... It will be a piece of furniture for sure

Back