What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from degassing and feeding the mead on its schedule, and trying ever-so-hard to tap out one of my kegs, I just received my first barrel in the mail today. Also went on a mercy mission-delivered some beer and cider to a friend in need.
My New Barrel.JPG

Bottled direct from keg using my Blichmann Beer Gun (second time I used it). Works really well. I just need to be more patient - still working out the optimum beer and CO2 pressure.

Edit: Almost forgot - ordered more bottle caps and another grain bill from my LHBS. They are open for pickups during the apocalypse, thank God! Brewing a Stout and a Belgian Wheat tomorrow!

Last edited:
Kegged an IPA that needs to be on tap NOW to replace the crappy lager I kegged last week; yeast went south and it's gross. Also installed a spigot in one of my new 7g fermonsters; took less than 10 minutes from drilling to rinsing out the plastic shreds, and testing for leaks. Can't wait to use this bad boy the first time tomorrow! The one thing I miss about fermenting in buckets is the spigot for easy testing; now I get the best of both worlds, can watch my beer ferment and take samples without a lot of fuss. Also going to fit a hose to the spigot so kegging will go faster. I love my autosiphon but it's a PITA.

Got started early (3:30am, horey clap) this morning, and the Sabro/Citra IPA is on the boil now, just added the bittering hop. Plenty of time to do other stuff, like clean up various areas of the garage that have gotten clogged up with junk & random tools, also ordered some hops from HopsDirect; they're having a great sale on previous crops. 2lbs Cascade, 2lbs Crystal, 1lb Citra, and 1lb Willamette will be winging their way to my freezer later this week. I don't give a hoot if they're older ones; they're in vacuum packs and I've never had an issue with their hops. Also working on a Belgian Wit recipe, to use some of the BE-256 yeast gifted to me by a friend; been craving a Belgian for a while. I like to be busy.

Since there isn't really any competitions going on, I've decided to drink or give away many of the beers that I have bottled. Recovering fridge/kegerator space is needed. I'm keeping the best ones, but need to eliminate the others. I really need some space to make capicola (Berkshire collar meat) and similar.

About a week ago, brewed a Belgian golden ale. Miscalculated my strike and sparge water (because I was going for a much gentler boil) and ended up with a gallon and a half of leftover low gravity wort. So I went with a parti gyle system with this, and brewed a low ABV patersbier with a different yeast and hop schedule than the main batch. Bottled this morning, but only 10 500ml bottles. I'm going to call it LeftWort Golden Ale.

Weather blowing cold and wet here today so I did a light cleaning of the brew rig - tubing, pumps, hex and bk in the loop.
Drained the PBW into a bucket and cleaned my SS spider as well. Gonna have to dirty it up soon, the way the weather's going it might be tomorrow or Wednesday...

rig_cleaning_sm.jpg

Cheers!

Weather blowing cold and wet here today so I did a light cleaning of the brew rig - tubing, pumps, hex and bk in the loop.
Drained the PBW into a bucket and cleaned my SS spider as well. Gonna have to dirty it up soon, the way the weather's going it might be tomorrow or Wednesday...

View attachment 677576

Cheers!

What is this stand with the hellfire's set in it? I have 2 of these burners also and need a good stand.

How big are your losses with that tubing? This looks similar to my 3V HERMS setup but I always figured I'd end up shortening my hoses once I got a stand.

Not Hellfires, Floor Burners (bg14 elements), still in their original stands, I designed my rig around them.
Liquid losses are modest and accounted for in my equipment profile, thermal losses are minimal.
I run the HLT just 1.5-2°F hotter than the target mash temperature...

Cheers!

[edit] This will give you some reference dimensions to build around Blichmann burners. I'm pretty sure it'd work for the Hellfires as well..

brew_stand_v2.jpg

Last edited:
anxiosly awaiting my homebrewtalk sticker, and i brewed beer....glad the forum is back up, just in time for me to add it to the tally! (gotta tell HBT_Admin spell check be f'd up, just tried to auto corectect my whole post!)

Dropped 1oz Citra in the Sabro/Citra IPA I brewed yesterday; hit high krausen this morning, and I've had good luck with this method. Rest of the dry hops will go in Wednesday or Thursday, depends on how fast it starts dropping. Hoping to keg this weekend. Sipping on the latest IPA now, couldn't be happier with this one, and it's deliciously refreshing after a long day at both jobs. Had a chat with the husband, and the second job will be GONE once this covid/corona madness is over, or close to. My second job is the same place his main job is, and they've come through with a nice bonus on every check for those of us who have stuck it out, even for part-timers like me. Once that's taken away it really won't be worth it; and 52 is just a bit too old to be working two jobs, one of which is very physically demanding. I just have to keep up my end of the bargain by cooking a nice dinner a few times a week and keeping the house nicer. Before I quit though I'll lay in a huge supply of grain for the summer; already have hops on their way, and looking for a new fridge to replace the old dead kegerator. Well-stocked brewery=happy wife=happy life.

and 52 is just a bit too old to be working two jobs, one of which is very physically demanding. I just have to keep up my end of the bargain by cooking a nice dinner a few times a week and keeping the house nicer.

just had to try out a new like/emoji.......

just had to try out a new like/emoji.......
Yah, my first thought on seeing the new format of HBT was "oh jeez, they turned it into FB for homebrewers" but I do like it. Gonna take a while to get used to it though. Mods, please note I did say I LIKE IT. Please don't go away again.

I've been drinking too....

Checked on the Mandarina Bavaria that I have been aging (since June 2019 in garage) for my sours. The cheesy feet smell has become a dried fruit smell. Almost raisin-like. Anyone else experience this with their aged hops?

Cleaned a couple kegs, then filled them up with a lager and Belgian pale. All my kegs are filled now so I get to coast a little until one empties.

Going to revive a slant of british yeast later for an upcoming brew day. Plan to brew a best bitter using a new malt, Warminster Maris Otter.

I had to work on a coworkers computer today (artistic software complications with a company whose name is synonymous with Southwestern Native American brick work). So while we were working in the backyard with an extension cord in order to physically distance ourselves, we sampled my NZ Hop Pale Ale, Wild Fermented Apple Cider with Cranberry, Red Flanders Sour, Pale Sour, Viognier Wine, and mostly-fermented Mead.

He also brought me some Voodoo Ranger as a "thank you," for my efforts.

Today was a very good day in quarantine.

Dropped the final dry hop in my Sabro/Citra IPA last night, and today ordered a nice list of stuff to pick up from my LHBS tomorrow. She's only doing curbside pickup but still has the best prices in the area, and since we can't do anything else (other than pay bills) with our paychecks right now, ordered enough grain and other stuff to keep me going a while.

Latest posts

Back