Drinking in excess and brewing don't mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nordoe

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I had 3 glasses of chocolate stout, split a bomber of Damnation and was on my second bottle of Red Hook ESB. So I was brewing and was ready to cool down my wort after the boil. I have a wort chiller and being a little tipsy, I started stirring with my true brew thermometer. It broke. Some glass and those little black balls at the bottom got it my wort. I dont think it is toxic, is that correct? I dont know what those little black balls are. I think the glass is my big concern. Do you think I should dump it, or maybe rack like 2 thirds through a coffee filter or something like that after a few weeks in the primary. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This has happened many times and there's quite a few threads if you want to read all the advice on it, but I think the general consensus was that broken glass, chemicals and lead shot aren't worth the risk. :(

Pouring it through a coffee filter after fermentation would almost certainly oxygenate it and you'd end up with cardboard beer.

I would suggest increasing your tolerance to alcohol!:D

Those black balls may be lead (I'm not familiar with a true brew thermometer)

Glass sinks to the bottom, racking carefully, should eliminate glass, or as you sugested a filter of some sort.

Either way, no more stirring with any glass object of any type. That's what spoons are for!

Cheers!

I also suggest dump and do over, risking glass and possible toxic chemicals in a brew is not worth it. as for brewing and imbibing, I wait til the wort is in the fermenter before I pour one. Too many slip ups and mistakes when I drank while brewing. after pitching its game on!!:D

I would suggest increasing your tolerance to alcohol!:D

Those black balls may be lead (I'm not familiar with a true brew thermometer)

Glass sinks to the bottom, racking carefully, should eliminate glass, or as you sugested a filter of some sort.

Either way, no more stirring with any glass object of any type. That's what spoons are for!

Cheers!

I also suggest dump and do over, risking glass and possible toxic chemicals in a brew is not worth it. as for brewing and imbibing, I wait til the wort is in the fermenter before I pour one. Too many slip ups and mistakes when I drank while brewing. after pitching its game on!!:D

Airzona in the HOUSE!!!!!

BTW, I quoted myself!:ban:

the other threads reveal that the balls are steel shot, not lead, and are a non-issue really. apparently there are mixed feelings on getting the glass out.

do NOT dump it.
There are many threads about this, it is a food-safe thermometer.
the red line is alcohol filled, and the balls are steel shot.

This happenned to me and I whirlpooled it and siphoned to bottling bucket leaving the frags behind.

do NOT dump it.
There are many threads about this, it is a food-safe thermometer.
the red line is alcohol filled, and the balls are steel shot.

This happenned to me and I whirlpooled it and siphoned to bottling bucket leaving the frags behind.

thanks man, i am gonna try my best not to. i think besides for the mishap it came out well. My first ESB.

Back