Fruit Beer Watermelon Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed version 5 about a month ago using just over 8 cups of watermelon juice (got using a juicer) and it came out amazing. Watermelon upfront with a delicious creamy finish. I did a hefeweizen style mash schedule with a single decoction which I think gave it that creaminess. I'll be making it at least three more times this summer, just can't seem to keep any in the house.

Brewed this 6/28/14, cooled in kegerator overnight (my groundwater only gets wort to ~80F), and pitched starter of WLP320 next day.

Missed OG by a few points, landing at 1.047.

Fermented for 8 days at 67-68F.

Racked to secondary on the 7th (SG was at 1.007) on top of 10 cups juice (1 basketball size melon).

Yeast exploded on watermelon juice, resulting in a mess, switched to blow off tube and let it sit 14 days in secondary at 63-65F.

Racked to keg last night...omg, clean wheat beer flavor up front, perfect watermelon finish on the back. Clean fruit taste (did not use extract). Final SG was 1.005. Can not wait till this one is carbed.

Thanks for this!

Just bought the ingredients for Watermelon Wheat v.5!

Wanted to add Cara-Pils for better head retention and a touch more body. Also the wheat is over 50% now, so it's a true wheat beer. Other than that, I was happy with the rest of what I was doing.

I'll brew this up on Friday morning.

4 lbs. German 2-row Pils
6 lbs. German Wheat Malt Light
0.5 lbs Cara-Pils® Malt; Briess
0.5 oz. Willamette (Whole Leaf, 5.70 %AA) boiled 60 min.
8 cups Watermelon Juice (fresh squeezed, not pasteurized, added to 2ndary)
~1 oz. William's Watermelon Extract to taste @ kegging. EDITED on 6/29/12: changed from 6 to 8 cups)
1 vial. White Labs WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale

I brewed this on 07/12, added 8 cups of watermelon last Friday 07/18. The bubbling is just now starting to slow up and it looks pretty. I can't wait to try it. Thanks DD. :mug:

rlon...I mashed at 153 for 1 hour and added enough boiling water to bring that up to 168 for about ten minutes...this got kegged last Sunday morning and tasted fantastic out of the hydrometer test tube! FG was 1.009, a nice very subtle watermelon nose, orangy/pinkish hue and a clear watermelon finish. I tried 21st Amendments Hell or High Watermelon and found it too sweet and Jolly Rancherish...Dubbeldach's recipe is far better.

Quick question? Mine is not as pink. Does the color settle out? Tasted good. Just after a week sitting on the watermelon juice it's not as pink as it was initially.

Sorry didn't read thread, would this work as well with Safale-06 or would the yeast profile be too complex? Also how did everybody sanitize their watermelon juice before adding to secondary?

Also how did everybody sanitize their watermelon juice before adding to secondary?

didn't sanitize the juice but did sanitize the cutting board, knife, outside of the watermelon, etc.

Everything that came in contact with the juice.

Bad reports from those who tried to heat pasteurize... apparently cooked watermelon tastes like ass.

I have a friend that wants some of this for Christmas. How well will this age since watermelon won't exactly be in season then?

Just kegged this a couple days ago. I added 1 lb of munich and 6 cups of straight watermelon juice. I also just used some repitched wlp090 and the sample tasted great. Got it carbing up now, should taste great. Watermelon comes through nicely, but not overpowering.

Brewed 11 gallons of this on 8/29/2014, split into two 6.5G carboys. Brewed for a bachelorette party my SWMBO was throwing in OBX, North Carolina. I did half with watermelon and half with strawberry. Here are my notes in case someone finds it beneficial.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brewday (8/29/2014)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mashed in temp was 152, after 60 minutes had dropped to 150. Recirculated the last 15 minutes of mash to compact grain bed.

Forgot 5.2 PH stabilizer in mash.

After (3) batch sparges the boil kettle volume at 14.7 gallons .

60 minute boil with no issues.

Recirculated boiling wort through CFC/Reverse IC (old IC inline for beer in bucket of ice water AFTER CFC) last 5 minutes of boil to sanitize (after washing with Oxiclean/Rinsing/Flushing with Starsan).

Wort was chilled to 78 in single pass through CFC/Reverse IC (84F hose water temp), split between two 6.5 gallon carboys. First carboy filled to 5.5 gallons, second carboy filled to 5.25 gallons (after tipping boil kettle, some trub material in second carboy to get to 5.25), attributing volume loss due to over aggressive boiling and a windy day. Oddly, not a lot of cold break visible in carboys, last brew looked like egg drop soup in carboy.

Carboys went into chest freezer set to 32F to drop temps, approx 6 hours later both carboys at 65F, pitched a stepped starter of WLP320 evening between carboys after shaking vigorously for 2 minutes each.

Brewday + 10 days (9/9/2014)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monitored status of fermentation over the last 10 days, blowoff activity stopped around day 4, krausen finally fell on day 9.

Gravity sample read at 1.011.

Sanitized/cut/mashed large basketball sized watermelon, pouring juice into bottom of a 5 gallon carboy and racking 5 gallons of beer on top. Mostly juice, some pulp got into carboy as well. About 10 cups (last batch had used 8 cups, but wanted a bit more watermelon flavor) of juice was in carboy. Moved back into 65F chest freezer, renewed blowoff tube activity present after 1 hour.

Also pushed 4lbs of frozen/thawed/frozen/thawed strawberries into mouth of a 5 gallon carboy and racked 5 gallons of beer on top. Strawberries very hard to get into carboy, lots of handling/breaking/slightly worried about infection. Had purchased 8lbs of strawberries but hands were too cold to do another 4lbs. Also assuming that frozen berries dropping the temp of beer is the reason for lack of CO2 activity the following morning, though what appears to be a new (red from berries) krausen is forming.

Brewday + 14 days (9/13/2014)

Blowoff activity ceased and needed fermentation chamber space, exchanged blow offs for airlocks and moved carboys into bathroom closet (73F ambient) to age till time to keg.

Brewday + 24 days (9/22/2014)

Moved both carboys from closet to rack to keg. Fruit in both carboys, especially the strawberries had turned white (not very pleasant to look at).

Gravity reading on watermelon was 1.007, strawberry was 1.010.

Both beers were excellent. Strawberry version had a tart strawberry taste up front with a wheat beer finish. Watermelon had a wheat beer taste up front with a watermelon finish (interesting it was backwards). The fruit in each beer was present, pleasant, and not overpowering. Watermelon taste was stronger than previous batch, will definitely be using 10 cups from now on, and possibly adding some pulp as well (which made it in carboy this time by accident). The pulp was probably a lot of the extra taste, it did not make a bitter watermelon flavor like eating the rind, but it did give it hints of a flavor similar to the melon meat closer to the rind.

Put kegs on gas at 12.5 PSI.

Brewday + 28 days (9/26/2014)

Both kegs (along with a keg of hard cider) took the planned trip down to OBX, North Carolina for a bachelorette party.

Both beers received excellent comments from the girls, with the strawberry being the clear favorite.

Strawberry beer did not make it home, the watermelon came home, but kicked after 3 pints. Half of the hard cider keg made it home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bottom line is the SWMBO and myself really enjoy this beer. It is great with strawberries too, but I'm partial to the original. I brewed two batches of it this summer (2014), and am sad now that melons are no longer available to me. Will definitely be brewing more of this beer in 2015. :mug:

Here is a picture of the watermelon.

watermelonwheat.jpg

This is about the third pint of my watermelon wheat, about 2 weeks in the keg. My melon was good, but not super super ripe, so I didn't have as much melon flavor as I really was after. Dosed the keg with 1/2 dram (1/16 oz) of LorAnn Watermelon Oil to round out the melony-ness. Nice beer now.

Don't know if I'd make a batch with straight flavoring or not, but the LorAnn oil did round out the watermelon and compliment the real melon really well.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414015363.472394.jpg

mine was not very successful. I think it got oxidised between primary and secondary. I will probably have another go for next summer though

I've been requested to brew a watermelon wheat for a wedding next summer. I think I'll give this one a shot....Has anyone tried a wit yeast with this one? I see a couple have used the 1010 american wheat as well. Anyone able to comment on different yeasts? I like the 1010, I've never used 320, and I've seen a couple others that have used cal ale or a clean ale yeast. I might actually split this one into a couple fermentors and try a few different yeasts. Can I make sure I've got the most current recipe:

4 lbs. German 2-row Pils

1.050/1.012/15 IBU?

No extract?

Question about the water melon juice. Last year I made this, I squeezed the juice and racked into secondary immediately. Could I do the juice ahead of time and freeze to avoid spoilage without adverse effects?

Also how are you guys checking FG after adding juice?
I checked my OG, will check FG of primary, after I add juice again what do I do? Is there a way to check FG and get an accurate ABV reading? Need help with calculations

FG before juice addition was 1.012, anyways to know my actual ABV once the juice is fermented and I check Gravity again?

Did anybody notice a difference between using wiliammete whole hops vs mt hood hop pellets ?
Gonna brew this as a 2.5 gallon batch :)

Stopped by a lhbs that I never go to and they were short of the wlp yeasts . They recommended safale wb-06 which is for wheat beer so hopefully it turns out okay . Otherwise I scaled it down to a 2.5 gallon batch and only pitched half the pack of dry yeast.
went with my hood hops instead of WilliaMetter Too so hope it doesn't change the profile too much ! Will post results m oh yes and my OG was 1.050. Closest I've gotten with a stove top all grain recipe ! :)

I accidentally under shot my total volume and just racked onto my 4 cups of watermelon . there's about 4-5 inches of heads pace in my Secondary but I was wondering because a second fermentation will start up will this amount of heads pace be ok or is my beer at risk ?

FG before juice addition was 1.012, anyways to know my actual ABV once the juice is fermented and I check Gravity again?

check the gravity after juice addition, then after it referments. probably wont add all that much though.

just made about 15 gallons of this for summer. planning on doing 2x6 gallon batchs of watermelon then the rest in 1gal split off with experimental fruits.

Has anybody tried this with us-05 or wlp001? I have no temp control and haven't put the ac units back in the house yet and Us-05 seems to be the only yeast that will take the heat and not give me a terrible sour flavor.

I use 05 and love it. Keep it in the 60's. Use a swamp cooler if you need to

Used a swamp cooler on my esb and must not have swapped the frozen bottles often enough because it still got the off flavor

BigGoat: Pretty sure last recipe of DD's was this:

4 lbs. German 2-row Pils
~1 oz. William's Watermelon Extract to taste @ kegging. EDITED on 6/29/12: changed from 6 to 8 cups)

Can't remember how far back this was, but it's in the thread somewhere. Last comment was that he prefers not using the extract, so probably safe to skip that. Brewing this up tomorrow and really looking forward to it.

BigGoat: Pretty sure last recipe of DD's was this:

4 lbs. German 2-row Pils

Can't remember how far back this was, but it's in the thread somewhere. Last comment was that he prefers not using the extract, so probably safe to skip that. Brewing this up tomorrow and really looking forward to it.

I just brewed this again few days ago. Pretty much the same recipe above, only used Mt. Hood instead of Willamette.

Brewed in last year and it was a hit! So incoming round two!

Is everyone doing the 1-2-3 timeline with this beer? I'm assuming it's not a 10 days grain to glass kinda beer

I just made this and did one week primary, one week secondary with the watermelon and then kegged and started drinking after it was carbonated. Drinking one now and it tastes great!

No I use the set and forget method, usually takes a week or two to get fully carbonated.

Purchased the grains today hoping I'll get around to brewing it tomorrow, forgot to get the watermelon but I've got a week before I need that anyways

Didn't happen today, hopefully tomorrow or at least sometime this week

I tried a variation of this recipe, and when I added the watermellon in the primary after a week, fermentation didn't restart.

I'm kinda a noob. What does this mean?

I tried a variation of this recipe, and when I added the watermellon in the primary after a week, fermentation didn't restart.

I'm kinda a noob. What does this mean?

did you add the watermelon in whole form or did you juice it?

Once again I'm going to try to brew this beer this weekend, hopefully I'll go through with it this time, I feel like I'm finally brewing summer beers when I should be starting on octoberfests and pumpkin ales

Back