Autumn Seasonal Beer Pumpkin Patch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salty_dog_68

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safeale S-04
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
pale
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
crisp and dry on the front end, malty in the middle, spicy and earthy aftertaste
This is a very simple recipe but everyone who tries it LOVES IT! I think the Amarillo hop goes really well with the pumpkin.

Bring 3.5-4 gallons of water to a boil and add:

- 4 lbs Breiss golden LME
- 32oz can pumpkin puree + 15oz can pumpkin puree(47oz total). I canned my own pumpkin last year and use two quart jars.
- 1oz Amarillo hops

boil 30mins and add:

- 1oz Amarillo hops

boil 15mins and add:

- 3lbs Breiss golden LME
- 1 tbsp. mccormicks pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp. irish moss

return to a boil and flame out.

cool to less than 80deg

pour into primary over 2 gals boiled water

pitch safeale S-04

primary fermentation = 14 days

rack to secondary leaving the pumpkin puree behind

secondary fermentation = 14 days

559753_346802302103166_201798202_n.jpg

This sounds delicious! On a scale of 1-10 how much pumpkin flavor would you say there was? I like my fruity beers to taste rather fruity (aroma or subtle flavors don't do it for me) so I'm wondering if I should up it or keep it as is.

The pumpkin flavor is very subtle. I would say 2.5 - 3. The pumpkin pie spice is a little more bold and you get it on the back end(along with the flavor of the aroma hop). I think the Amarillo hop pairs really well with the pumpkin pie spice and is what I really like about this beer. Since posting I have tweaked he recipe a little and add the 2nd ounce of Amarillo hop at 15mins making the beer less bitter and emphasizing the hop flavor. Enjoy!

The object of life is not to arrive at the grave intact and with a well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, beaten up and broken down, screaming, "holy ****! What a ride!"

I just brewed this recipe. Added a few cinnamon sticks to the fermenter as well...I'll let you know how it turns out!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back