The $22 six-pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornbread

Reaction score
I'm expanding my horizons.

I went to Total Wine and More and picked up a mix & Match six pack of beers that I haven't tried yet.

93460.jpg

I actually think hobgoblin is horrendous beer but I'm pretty sure I'm alone in that opinion.

I was not a fan. Then again, I have only had one. It seemed thin and watery, devoid of taste. I thought I got a bad one.

Oh, and to the OP, tell me your thoughts of Duvel Vs Westmalle tripel. I thought Westmalle had more character.

I was not a fan. Then again, I have only had one. It seemed thin and watery, devoid of taste. I thought I got a bad one.

Oh, and to the OP, tell me your thoughts of Duvel Vs Westmalle tripel. I thought Westmalle had more character.

That's the dubbel he got, not the tripel.

:off: Even if it was the tripel, you're comparing apples and oranges, as the Duvel is a belgian golden strong ale (pretty much the standard bearer of the style) and not a tripel (of which Westmalle is the standard bearer of the style). It's like putting a Sam Adams Boston Lager up against an Eggenberg Pils and saying "the Sam Adams has more character!" Tripels are, by definition, a bit richer, not as clean as BGSA's. BJCP says the following about BGSA:

Strongly resembles a Tripel, but may be even paler, lighter-bodied and even crisper and drier.

And about tripel:

Strongly resembles a Strong Golden Ale but slightly darker and somewhat fuller-bodied.

Anyway...

Yeah yeah, you style nazis are all the same ;).

Truthfully, I would have a hard time categorizing something a BSGA vs Tripel. I like them both, but both styles are fairly new to me. I was hoping someone would point out some distinguishing taste characteristics that I could look for next time I try either. Reading the BJCP descriptions you posted wouldn't it be like comparing red delicious apples to golden delicious apples? :D

My bad on not noticing the dubbel/tripel. They should be very different indeed.

I actually think hobgoblin is horrendous beer but I'm pretty sure I'm alone in that opinion.

I've had it once and thought it sucked but I could tell that it was stale and skunked so I'm guessing that it's actually good when stored correctly. I'm not really willing to give it another try because I know how far it had to come to get here but I guess if I made Orfy's clone I'd get an idea of what it's supposed to taste like.

Nice score. I love how the angels sing as soon as I walk through the doors at that place.

I had the Brooklyn recently, quite a lovely sipper.

Back