Pumpkin Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I know others have put up their Pumkin recipes, but I figure that this is a different one.

Pumpkin Porter

10 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 40L
10.35 oz Chocolate (what I had left)
8 oz Red Wheat
1 oz Black Patent

1 30oz Can Libbeys Pumpkin Pie Puree (1/2 @ 60min, 1/2 @ 30min)

1 oz Willamette (60)
.5 oz Willamette (30)
.5 oz Irish Moss

60 min infusion mash, 90 min boil

So I decided to go the pumpkin pie puree instead of just the unspiced one because then if I like this I can duplicate it and not worry about old spices in my cupboard.

Anyone ever do a dark pumpkin beer like this?

I was really looking to make a porter, then have it have some of the pumpkin flavor. I have heard of others using Libbey Pumpkin so I am not worried about anything stopping the ferment.

I ask if anyone has made a dark pumpkin beer so that I can find out if I added too much of the dark stuff. I was aiming for a pound of Chocolate and the black patent is there just for a whiff of coffee. I really didn't want to make a pumpkin ale as I prefer darker styles. Maybe I should make Orfy's Mild Brown and then add the pumpkin...hmmm.

So I put the beer in the fermenter on the 8th and thought that I didn't have a tight enough fit on the bung, so I pushed it in tighter and the airlock went off violently, boiling so to speak.

I just checked it today because there is zero airlock action and the beer, which started at 14% (winemaker here with the tools) or 1.054 (via conversion), and it is already at 4.9% alcohol and has about 3% (1.012) sugar left. I would call that finished even though I use Nottingham, as it tasted perfectly like beer.

I plan on leaving it outside tonight for a somewhat cold stabilization (gets down to 39*F) and then rack it into a secondary tomorrow morning.

There wasn't a lot of pumpkin flavor and I am thinking that I want to spice it more. The spices were really in the background to the coffee and chocolate flavor, which I guess I did want but didn't want. I wanted beer that has a hint of pumpkin pie and that is what I got. Now that I taste it though I am not sure if I want more of not...

Why rush? let it mellow!

I made a pumpkin stout last year.. and it was awesome.. but it needed about 6 months for the pumpkin to comeout!

no patience :D

Honestly, I can be patient and this might actually benefit from three weeks in primary and then straight into bottles for conditioning. I am just trying to have it ready in time for Turkey Day.

I have a Pumpkin Porter that I just bottled today! Here's my recipe...

Mash
1 pound Carapils
.5 pounds Black Patent
2.5 pounds fresh pumpkin (boil first with some spices)

Boil
3 pounds light liquid extract
3 pounds amber dry extract
1 pound dry malt extract
1 oz Hallertau (60 min)
1 oz Cascae (20 min)
2 teaspoons Irish Moss
1 teaspoon cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg

Yeast - White Labs 001 (California Ale)

Seems like its going to end up pretty well, need to be patient though because its pretty high ABV for a porter and needs to chill for a bit I think.

Latest posts

Back