Favorite Hops/Combinations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Haus

Reaction score
What are some of your favorite hops? Combinations of hops? Times, additions, characteristics, etc? Some are great alone but when paired with anothers become even better. I have a supply of Cascade, EKG, Amarillo, Columbus, Hallertauer, Mt. Hood, Perle, Santiam, Sterling, Williamette, Fuggles and Simcoe and would like some input. Although all hops welcome. Thanks.

I read that Simcoe and Amarillo work well together...

My last IPA had a Magnum, Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade combo that was just awesome. As you mention, the Simcoe/Amarillo mix is quite tasty. I don't have the times with me but I could post them later.

Simcoe can add some really interesting flavors, I know that everybody says citrus and YES you get the acidic light fruits...grapefruit, orange, etc but there is almost a dark fruit when the amounts are bumped up IMO (passion fruit comes to mind with late/larger additions). The mix of that with the citrus of Amarillo was quite nice. Combined this mix with a Centennial dry hop for a week (2oz) then a Cascade dry hop (2oz) for another week and it was my favorite IPA to date.

I also do an IPA that is Chinook, Amarillo, Cascade - nice mix as well.

Does anyone have any opinions on vanguard, sterling, argentine cascade, Kent Goldings, or liberty in a combination of two or more?

+1 on the simcoe amarillo combo and I was trying to place the aroma and had always thought grapefruit or apple then somewhere I read passionfruit and that to me is the closest thing so far to describe it. It if freaking delicious!

Right now I am working on a Simtennial (Simcoe + Centennial) ale, I think those two will work well together.

I made a pale ale with just willamette and it was awesome! I used 2oz to bitter 1oz at 10 min 2 oz at 2 min and 3 oz dry hop. It wasn't very hoppy as one would think. It was superbly pleasant. Can't say it was like an ESB because of how mild the hops came across but it was in the same realm. Very drinkable! That beer is the reason I bought a wilamette hop plant. (also got chinook, centennial, cascade, golding, fuggle, nugget and a mystery hop plant I found growing in abundance around an old hop field that the hops were ripped out of years ago.)

As far as a combo.
I really like Ahtanum and Amarillo together. in the flavor and Aroma additions. Equal measure.

JB over at AHS hooked me up with this combo for a pale and it is nice..

Simcoe/Amarillo
Centennial/Cascades

EDIT - Sorry, just noticed you were asking for addition timing as well. I've found lately that doing a lot of late additions gives my APA's/IPA's more hop kick and flavor. I've completely eliminated the 30 minute additon and usually go with FWH for my bittering hops and 15/10/5/1 for the flavor/aroma. I've also started dryhopping every APA and IPA with at least .5 oz. My latest IPA has a 2 oz dryhop.

My last IPA used a combo of Centennial & Amarillo. I used the Amarillo to Bitter and the Centennial for flavor and aroma, backwards I know but it was pretty tasty.

I like Columbus and Centennial for bittering in almost anything, except English ales. Pale ales, I'll use Cascades, Amarillo and Perl for flavor/aroma. English ales, it's Fuggles & EKG. Maybe Nugget.

My 3CPA is Columbus and Centennial for bittering and a mix of Cascades, Amarillo and Perl for all other adds & dry hopping.

Cascade, EKG, Amarillo, Columbus, Hallertauer, Mt. Hood, Perle, Santiam, Sterling, Williamette, Fuggles and Simcoe

Hallertauer - Hefeweizen
Willamette, Fuggle, EKG - English Ales
Columbus (bittering), Cascade, Amarillo, Santium, Sterling, Simcoe - APA, IPAs

I use Perle in my Blood Ale for bittering...it's kind of an amber ale. not really sure what else i've used it in.

Mt. Hood is good for a variety of styles. great aroma hop or can even be used for bittering hefeweizens.

Tettnanger, EKG, Fuggle and Saaz are probably my favorite hops. I can make all my best beers with a combination of those.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back