bought a six pack of....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
Newcastle brown ale. First thoughts, almost tastes like bud ice. I expected a little more. More thoughtsto follow after more is consumed.

Mustangfreak said:
...almost tastes like bud ice...
Wow. Really?
I've never had that reaction to Newcastle, and I would actually like to make a clone of it in the future. I love the stuff, I just can't see how it's price is justified, except that tons of other people don't share you opinion. I am not trying to insult you, and you're more than welcome to drink whatever you like, but I just can't place a similarity between Bud Ice and Newcastle. Would you mind elaborating on what you're not enjoying with it, as maybe you got a skunked sixxer, or it was frozen and thawed in a microwave, or otherwise subjected to unwarranted abuse before it came to be in your possession?

Matt

Of course I just had an SA Cranberry Lambic, and I'm still pondering the possibility of calling poison control, as this stuff might do damage to me if I have to taste it again on the way back up, yet I can't believe it's doing me anything beneficial while it stains my innards with bad yogurt vileness...

Having never had a Bud Ice, and praying never to have to I can't really comment on that. But I will say I think Newcastle is one of those that taste a million times better on draught than in a bottle.

Are you drinking it ice cold? If so, let it warm up a bit in your glass and the flavor should bloom and become more up font.

I've almost totally given up on Newcastle unless it's draught from a pub. I love the beer sellers in my area but my god, they can't stock a clear bottle without skunking it (and it CAN be done!)

And I would like to make one small point... The OP said it tasted like Bud Ice... He didn't say he dislikes Bud Ice, just that he was expecting more from NC... Perhaps there's a commonality that brings that connection out for him?

Last bottle I had almost made me puke because of how bad it was skunked. Only buy it on tap now.

I agree, let that bad boy warm up to 50F+ and it should be tasty.

I have enjoyed a few Newcastles I wouldn't put it at the top of my list but I also would not put it at the bottom.

local store is now stocking completely enclosed half racks of newcastle, ahhh good!

for me it seems to come down to the hop selection, and the hops used in most BMC beer is disgusting even at their low hopping rate

Ok, I set out my last bottle on the counter to let it warm up a little, and it deff tastes better! I'll buy again as long as its in an enclosed case.

ma2brew said:
Of course I just had an SA Cranberry Lambic, and I'm still pondering the possibility of calling poison control, as this stuff might do damage to me if I have to taste it again on the way back up, yet I can't believe it's doing me anything beneficial while it stains my innards with bad yogurt vileness...

I can't decide which is worse; the beer itself, or the fact that they call it Lambic!

landhoney said:
I can't decide which is worse; the beer itself, or the fact that they call it Lambic!

Everyone slams SA, but that beer is the one that made me try other styles. It's not the best but without it I would have never tried Roddenbach:eek: and that would be truly sad:(

I bought my first 6 pack of Newkies last week, I thought it was pretty good, something a little different. I even looked up the clone recipe but when I saw it was a blend of two beers I decided I didnt like enough to go thru all that work. It wasnt even a 50/50 blend it was like 2/5 of one brew and 3/5 of the other.

Most pubs in the UK sell NBA in bottles from the fridge. It is my port in a storm if they do not sell Real Ale.
No way does it taste like Bud ice. (Must admit I've never had bud ice but I have had Bud.) It's seved Ice cold but I let it warm up a bit before drinking. Its not a big malt thick bodied brew but it's got a nice sweet flavour to it.

niquejim said:
Everyone slams SA, but that beer is the one that made me try other styles. It's not the best but without it I would have never tried Roddenbach:eek: and that would be truly sad:(

I'm not 'slamming' SA, I just really don't like the beer or the fact that they call it a Lambic. It's not a Lambic at all, its a cranberry wheat(W-68 ale yeast) beer. And if I'm not mistaken, SA is the only American brewery making a beer and calling it Lambic.

To me, this is like American(or other) winemakers calling their sparkling wine 'Champagne' when it's not. Why must you associate your sparkling wine with Champagne? Afraid it won't sell labeled as sparkling wine?

Back