Bottle conditioning in a ceramic flip top growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
I know not to bottle condition in a screw top growler. Too many articles advising against it. Some said they had better luck with the ceramic flip top growlers. Have a nice one from Victory Brewing with an aluminium handle, same as other brewers use, I would like to use but only if it is safe. Do not want to depend on luck.

Seems a lot of people use Grolsch bottles. Everyone can't be kegging so figure some are safely bottle conditioning with the Grolsch and EZ Cap bottles.

Any thoughts?

Well I saw 2 liter ones at the LHBS and after bottling my first batch I am considering it too.. Looking at the ones they had, they were thicker than bottles.. so I would think conditioning in them would be fine. I didn't think to ask.

But it would seem easier to bottle in 9 - 2 liter growlers than 54 bottles, not to mention no capping, etc..

Its probably what I am going to do with my Octoberfest.

I have bottle 3 batches now in Grolsch bottles and a 2 little growler with a swing top lid. All have been fine and carbed up nicely in a normal 1-2 weeks. The 2 liter growlers don't fit in the fridge very easy though.

The flip caps aren't the issue, it's whether the glass container can handle the pressure. Most growlers are not designed for conditioning pressures.

Just use common sense. If the growler seems flimsy, it probably is. If it seems built to hold pressure, it probably is.

I have bottled in a thick-walled flip to growler before with no issues at all, but I also have some thin-walled flip-top growlers that I wouldn't dare bottle in.

Back