When and if to do a Diacetyl rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
My lager is happily fermenting at 54 at the moment, 2 days in. The last lager I made I didn't do a diacetyl rest and it came out great, but for some reason I'm thinking I'll do one this time. At what precise point :cross: should I do it? I'm reading at 80% or thereabouts, but when will that be? My OG was 1.052, so would that be at around 1.020? I don't usually take readings until I'm sure it is complete.

I'm crossing my fingers on the weather too. It was in the high 50s today, and tomorrow it is supposed to be even warmer. This is some winter we're having here in NYC. I rely on the cold weather for my temps. Last year was cold and I had to worry more about keeping it from freezing. If it goes above 60 my beer will go above 60 with it, or maybe a little less. I have it in a shallow cold water bath right now in the cooler evening, I'll put ice bottles in it in the morning.

What is your expected FG? If you are expecting 1.012 then 1.020 would be 80%. I would think you might start it a bit higher. and you should taste your sample- if you can't taste the diacetyl then you don't need to do the rest, but it certainly won't hurt anything if you do one.

I am in week 2 of a lager in my secondary with the temperature at 35 degrees. I was going to let it sit for 2 more weeks at this temp. Should I bring it up to 50 at the end of my ferment for a few days before bottling?

If you chilled to 54F or below before pitching, you probably won't need a diacetyl rest. The rest is recommended when the wort is pitched warmer and then cooled to fermentation temperatures once signs of fermentation are visible.

I brew lots of lagers and have never done a diacetyl rest and have never had a problem.

Back