English Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kooklife

Reaction score
I am brewing an English Bitter by Coopers Homebrew as my first. Does anyone have any opinions or pointers on this European Lager? I didn't want to do a lager for my first batch but this seemed to be the only one I could find.

The cooper's English bitter is an ale,not a lager. Is it the International Series can you have? Adding two of the boxes of cooper's light DME & an ounce of East Kent Golding is supposed to give a close Fuller's clone.

Ha! I'm sorry I misread the directions on the pack. I'm still new to all this but thanks anyways. Does anyone have any have any experience with this beer though? anything I should know or stay away from doing?

I was given a cooper's English Bitter kit package as a thank you gift from makebeer.net. It had the box of cooper's light DME & the carb drops. I saved the carb drops,as bulk priming is def better.
Priming to style with this calculator; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html I primed it to the English ordinary bitter listed. All are BJCP style standards. But I found the 1.3 volumes to be a bit too flat tasting to me. I think 1.8 volumes would def be better. The bottled bitters are said to have more carbonation than the cask ones. I def think you'd like the 1.8 volumes better with this one. Properly brewed,it's pretty darn good with pit bbq. So if you're into BBQ Pit Boys,you'll get it!

I have one fermenting now. I did it by the book with all items included in the package only. Although I am pretty certain I could bottle now, I am giving it a full two weeks in the fermenter prior to moving it to the bottles. I have never drank an English bitter and only purchased this kit at the wife's request so I will have to get her opinion on it once it's bottled for 2 or so weeks to see how close it is to what she had in England.

Back