Should I boil date molasses before adding it to my fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeergeek

Reaction score
I came up 5 points low on a saison. I've been itching to put some date molasses into a brew, so it looks like fate has chosen my saison to be the inaugural batch. Should I boil it before adding it to the fermentor? My calculations put it right around the same gravity points per pound as honey. I'm assuming it's a hygroscopic solution, so it might be safe without a boil -- should I risk it or just heat it up and cool it first?

Although I'm not sure if molasses is as hydroscopic as honey, I think it must be pretty close.

Even so, post fermentation you have the alcohol content and the very well established yeast colonies to keep any new critters at bay... (at least that is my understanding)

I'd add it directly, or maybe dissolved in a tiny bit of distilled water. No boil. That way you keep the aromatics & flavor compounds for the brew!

:)

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Good question, I've only ever added it to the boil or primed with it on bottling day. I would probably take the amount you intended to use and add enough water so you get maybe 2 cups of liquid and bring it to a boil and turn it off. It will both sanitize it and thin it out a bit.

I've calculated that I'll need 19 oz of date molasses to bring my gravity up 10 points, not five points. I was mistaken in my original post. I split the 5.5 gallons into two 5 gallon fermentors (for headspace). I'm not sure what the flavor combo of date molasses and WY3711 will be like, so I'm going to add 10 oz to one of the fermentors, wait a week, and sample it. I'm going to follow Revvy's thinking, chill the mixture down as quickly as possible and pitch it in. If it's acceptable, I'll add the other half of the molasses to the remainder of the batch.

I added Molasses to my RIS, during fermentation, straight out of the jar no boil or nothing. Its been aging for a month and nothing bad as come from it, no infection forming or anything.

I added Molasses to my RIS, during fermentation, straight out of the jar no boil or nothing. Its been aging for a month and nothing bad as come from it, no infection forming or anything.

I hear you, but this is far from a RIS... this is a wee tiny 4% saison. I'm not sure the sanitizing properties of the beer are the same. Plus, this is NOT molasses. The only ingredient is dates. It's "date molasses." I'm not sure how it's processed or if it's safe to use unheated, which is why I'm bringing it to a simmer before cooling/pitching it.

I hear you, but this is far from a RIS... this is a wee tiny 4% saison. I'm not sure the sanitizing properties of the beer are the same. Plus, this is NOT molasses. The only ingredient is dates. It's "date molasses." I'm not sure how it's processed or if it's safe to use unheated, which is why I'm bringing it to a simmer before cooling/pitching it.

It's mollases just like regular mollasses, it's made during the refining process of making jaggery or date palm sugar from the date palm plant.

SInce it comes from places like bangladesh, india or sri lanka, places with less "quality control" and different sanitary standards I would make sure it was sanitized before using it.

I would mix it with water, Bring it to 160-170 degrees, hold it there for 30 mins, cool and then pitch.

I would mix it with water, Bring it to 160-170 degrees, hold it there for 30 mins, cool and then pitch.

You really don't want to go that long, you truly would dissipate all the volitile aroma and flavor compounds. You wouldn't add it that late in the boil of a beer (usually the last 5-10 minutes) so you wouldn't heat it that long.

Just bringing it up to a boil, and turning it off will pretty much kill anything off without totally destroying all the good stuff.

arise, oh slumbering thread!

i was in a middle eastern store this weekend and on a whim i picked up a jar of date molasses. i am thinking of using it in a dubbel or BDSA, maybe even an RIS at some point. D-180 syrup uses "a small amount of raw Date sugar to add a rich undertone of flavor" (http://www.candisyrup.com/faq.html) so i'm thinking that using a small proportion (10%?) of date molasses along with regular sugar should be tasty and to style.

for those of you who have used date molasses, how much did you use? how did it turn out? any tips?

an imperial stout recipe i found that uses date molasses: http://pdtnc.wordpress.com/2012/01/01/ag71-abyss-imperial-stout/

I added 9 oz of date molasses to half of a 10 gallon batch of low gravity saison (1.035 before adding the molasses). The WY3711 tore through it (of course) and the resulting beer was quite dry. I was surprised by how very little date character the molasses-half had compared to the non-molasses-half. It did contribute a significant color difference to the dosed half.

Back