120v 2000W Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaimez

Reaction score
So i have been thinking about converting one of my kettles to electric. I have seen a lot of pics of builds and some posts discussing it.

What i want to do is use a element that i can just plug into an outlet in my garage or kitchen. I DONT want to use the Stove or dryer outlet. I wana go basic and cheep as possible. If it takes over an hour to reach a boil im ok with that.
So is a 2000w @ 120v my option? I'll be honest i dont know much about electricity but i have learned some the past few days just researching this.

Is there a write up on a simple Electric kettle build?

You could just modify your kettle for a 5500W water heater element so in the future when you go 240V you'll be set up.

Just hook up a 3 prong GFCI extension cord to it (P=V squared / R ) so you'll be at 1375W. That should be good for even a standard 15A outlet. If you wanna speed it up you could use it like that on your stove top or get a cheapo hot plate.

If one were to go the 5500W element running on 120V 15A circuit, could you reach a boil with propane and maintain it with just the element? Same for mash temperature, but if it could hold a boil it could hold a mash (with PID).

Edit: I should mention I do 5 gal batches. Usually mash in with 7.5-8 gal water.

If you want truly simple, you could buy two of these (again, assuming you have an otherwise empty 20A circuit available):

http://www.amazon.com/Marshalltown-742G-Bucket-Water-Heater/

It can be done ..

I have 2 of these..I do not boil with them - it just isn't vigorous enough, difficult to regulate, and takes far too long

...I collect 10 G in a rubbermaid cooler HLT, set a timer to fire one of the heaters up to stay on for 3.5 hours (start at 3:30 AM) .. when I come down to basement in AM, strike water all set. Mash in, then add 4 gallons of water to HLT, add second heater, on diff GFI circuit, to the HLT..the mash out temp is 185 easily w/in an hour. Having a food-grade hose to fill the HLT is a big time saver and back saver.

Collected wort gets transported to porch for boil on propane cooker. (so I strain my back only once :)

I have been snooping on this site. I am interested in an electic pot to boil my wort. Just not sure what is required to get it going in a reasonable amount of time. I think I could do 240 but 120 would be easier. So will 1375 or 2000 watts boil a pot with 7 gallons? How long will it take if you start with the lid on?

thanks, Mike

simple answer...1375w will be like watching grass grow...no boil. 2000w is possible and very likely, would help to insulate the pot w/ towels or an old winter coat...YMMV

You could just modify your kettle for a 5500W water heater element so in the future when you go 240V you'll be set up.

Just hook up a 3 prong GFCI extension cord to it (P=V squared / R ) so you'll be at 1375W. That should be good for even a standard 15A outlet. If you wanna speed it up you could use it like that on your stove top or get a cheapo hot plate.

1375w will not boil any appreciable quantity IMO...2000w is the absolute minimum IMO:mug:

Don't mean to be dense, but I see that 1375w will not be efficient for boiling. However, still unsure if I was doing the element + propane to get up to boil, then cutting the propane once a good boil was reached and possibly maintaining the boil with just the element. Would definitely cut down on gas but not sure if it is realistic.

Don't mean to be dense, but I see that 1375w will not be efficient for boiling. However, still unsure if I was doing the element + propane to get up to boil, then cutting the propane once a good boil was reached and possibly maintaining the boil with just the element. Would definitely cut down on gas but not sure if it is realistic.

1375W is like watching grass grow...will not maintain a boil...I would not bother...2-3kw minimum!

Back