The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This forum seems much more lively than the one for where I moved to.

(I'm a transplanted Masshole, From Carver)

Has anyone made a Cranberry Anything beer? I was half thinking of doing a Lambic Cranberry brew but I figured this was the best place to ask.

Started off as a helicopter pilot flying SH-60Bs out of Mayport, FL.

Did a late career transition to the E-2C Hawkeye, which is a carrier based AWACS. (Radar plane)

Now I'm a reservist flying a desk, but trying to get into a C-130 unit.

I fly for the USAF as my day job, as a contract pilot.

:mug: to home brewing Massholes everywhere...

heady_topper_clone.jpg

In honor of two straight days with actual sun light and getting out of the house for a change, a couple of reviews.

- True West award-winning micro and restaurant on Rt 111 in West Acton.
Spousal Unit and I went over there last Saturday evening, had the obligatory 6 brew flight to start. Witbier was very good, Saison was excellent, Belgian was very good. Otoh, their house IPA ("Ruckus") was a tannin bomb - really big time pucker stuff, the Pale was utterly unencumbered by hop flavor or aroma and tasted old and oxidized, and yet another pale was uninspiring.

Fortunately the bar food was very tasty and the gathering was quite social, so on balance I'd give it a 7, including the point added because they're like 6 miles from home.

- Nancy's Airfield Cafe (Minuteman Airfield in Stow) on Car Nights
Nancy's serves fabulous food at fabulous prices, you'll never get less than a great meal there. Thursdays are "Wings and Wheels" nights where area folks bring their cool cars (tonight was British night, lots of MGs, Minis and a few Lotuses (Lotii?). On those nights the Cafe serves simple food with beer and wine.

Beer selection isn't particularly robust but they always have some saving grace - tonight it was a pretty good IPA out of Maine. The House Pizza is awesome and the burgers are great, but the social aspect and the cars are the real draw - some cool people and cars there...

That is all. Go about your business...

Cheers!

Nancy's Airfield Cafe is great for brunch too. Plus if you have little ones in tow they love watching the planes land and take off.

I went to Truewest twice within its first 6 months. Both times service was horrible. They were packed since just opening. Maybe that was the problem. That area is perfect for a place like that. There's 3 microbreweries probably within 5 miles and no ones above average.

They push the whole farm to table anthem way to much. The manager on my first visit asked for my honest opinion after getting done with my meal. I asked if they do everything local? Ans: Yes. Ok I've heard about the maltster out in Hadley. Do you use them? No. Never heard of them. Ok. Who do you use? Ans: Someone online but not from MA. Hops from MA? No.

Ok. So I'm paying $17 for your house burger. So if it's local and you're all hippy into farm to table, tell me its story. What farm is it from? Ans: I don't know Is it organic? No.

Burger came out. Not impressive and wet cold fries. I do see they've updated their menu. Must have read my review. Now says ground at Blood Farm. Blood Farm isn't really a farm. It's the only meat processor in MA. The quality of meat is really good and the prices are really good. So I don't know how they came up with $17 for a burger. Plus Blood's website says they try to buy local but due to demand they can't and need an additional distributor outside of the area. So not really local.

My final question was "what on your menu is local" Ans: We make our ketchup on site. I'd actually agree. Not being sarcastic but the ketchup was actually friggin good. Maybe I should head over there and give them another try.

Old man rant completed.

In honor of two straight days with actual sun light and getting out of the house for a change, a couple of reviews.

- True West award-winning micro and restaurant on Rt 111 in West Acton.
Spousal Unit and I went over there last Saturday evening, had the obligatory 6 brew flight to start. Witbier was very good, Saison was excellent, Belgian was very good. Otoh, their house IPA ("Ruckus") was a tannin bomb - really big time pucker stuff, the Pale was utterly unencumbered by hop flavor or aroma and tasted old and oxidized, and yet another pale was uninspiring.

Fortunately the bar food was very tasty and the gathering was quite social, so on balance I'd give it a 7, including the point added because they're like 6 miles from home.

- Nancy's Airfield Cafe (Minuteman Airfield in Stow) on Car Nights
Nancy's serves fabulous food at fabulous prices, you'll never get less than a great meal there. Thursdays are "Wings and Wheels" nights where area folks bring their cool cars (tonight was British night, lots of MGs, Minis and a few Lotuses (Lotii?). On those nights the Cafe serves simple food with beer and wine.

Beer selection isn't particularly robust but they always have some saving grace - tonight it was a pretty good IPA out of Maine. The House Pizza is awesome and the burgers are great, but the social aspect and the cars are the real draw - some cool people and cars there...

That is all. Go about your business...

Cheers!

Tell me more about car nights please

Hmmm, if I'm going to pay $17 for a burger it better be served the way I order it and be so good it's a Harry met Sally moment. No cold greasy fries either.

Tell me more about car nights please

They happen every Thursday from now through August, and generally have a theme (last week was UK night, this week I believe is German Night).
Even so all kinds of cars show up.

Things start happening by 5pm, the Cafe starts cooking at 5:30, cars and peeps come and go for the next few hours. I think it runs to 8 or so.

Minute Man Air Field, 302 Boxboro Rd, Stow, MA 01775
https://wingsandwheelsma.com

Cheers!

My one trip to True West, every beer in my flight had the same astringent/mouth puckering aftertaste. Either there was a mild chlorine issue with the beer, they had a big tannins issue, or they'd massively over done the sulfate.

Hey Paulie, are you going to putt up into the hahbah for the Parade?

The last time the Tall Ships were in town I dropped our wee boat in the Charles up in Brighton and got through the locks just in time to catch the first big boats.
That was freaky cool. And once everything had been tied up the gendarmes let the spectator fleet wander around at headway speed so we were able to get up close to some of those amazing boats.

Otoh, we didn't get our turn to haul out at the ramp until 2AM :drunk:
So, that's not happening again.

Cheers!

Oh, man, thanks very much, Paul. You'll have a blast, and I'd love to be there, but we have the grandkids for the weekend and we'll be up at Story Land Saturday.
DVR is already set. Hoping the only drama is the good kind...

Cheers! :mug:

Back