Twang not apparent until aged?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
I have recently been reading a few of the longer threads about extract twang. I have notices a certain twang that becomes more apparent after sitting in a bottle for more than a couple of weeks. With big beers (my imperial stout and imperial ipas didnt have this flavor) I don't notice it at all. Its with my peach kolsch, my amber and a my porter where I got it the most. It has been subtle in my Bavarian Wheat. When kegged or tasted straight out of the fermenter it doesn't have this taste, or if it is really green (in a bottle), you can kinda notice it, but after 3-4 weeks it is the same kind of flavor apparent in almost every one that I have bottled. (not in my raspberry kolsch though, a very light beer). I primarily use LME from Northern Brewer.

I wash and rinse all my bottles, but sanitize out of my dishwasher, its not a very noticeable flavor in some, but more pronounced in others.

Is this off flavor I am tasting a product of my bottle sanitation method? I have only had 2 batches in keg, and neither had this flavor. I have done 90 gallons of beer within the past year and about 60 have had some sort of off flavor to it. I have only ever done 1 beer all DME. I have not tasted it yet (i think the 12 oz's of hops will overpower it anyway):tank:

Are you sure it's "twnag"?

Seeing that you are in Phoenix, do you temp control your fermentation?

If you do not use distilled water, do you use campden tablets for cholrine/chloramine?

Are you sure it's "twnag"?

Seeing that you are in Phoenix, do you temp control your fermentation?

If you do not use distilled water, do you use campden tablets for cholrine/chloramine?

I do , I try to brew more during the winter than in the summer, but in the summer I throw my pail in ice bath buckets.

Edit: I use RO water from storebought jugs . I use priming sugar (corn sugar) whenever I bottle.

I wonder if you are just tasting residual malt sweetness?

It might be worth going back through your last couple of brews and seeing if the twangy ones had a less attenuative yeast than the non-twangy ones.

Or, check your FGs and see if the twangy ones finished higher than the others.

This is an easy thing to check and rule out.
I recently had one beer finish higher than it should and I could definitely tell. Although I called it sweet, calling it twangy wouldn't have been an unreasonable description.
Pez.

I wonder if you are just tasting residual malt sweetness?

It might be worth going back through your last couple of brews and seeing if the twangy ones had a less attenuative yeast than the non-twangy ones.

Or, check your FGs and see if the twangy ones finished higher than the others.

This is an easy thing to check and rule out.
I recently had one beer finish higher than it should and I could definitely tell. Although I called it sweet, calling it twangy wouldn't have been an unreasonable description.
Pez.

This is hard for me to do. 1 reason is because I don't have any past brews, and also for the past 5-6 batches I just said "eff it" and not taken ANY gravity readings, just brewed , waited 2-3 weeks and then bottled/kegged. I have since started taking readings again. I will keep that into considerating. What causes a high FG? Not so healthy yeast? I am not really familiar with what attenuation means or how it relates to a FG. Can you explain for me please?

Could be oxidation IMHO. Extract twang should be in the taste of the beer throughout the process (in fermenter, at bottling time, etc). I've had this happen where a flavor doesn't show up until after a couple/few weeks in the bottle, ESPECIALLY if it's not a darker beer. Some discussion in this thread regarding tastes showing up after bottling:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/bottle-conditioning-necessary-223816/

Back