Chocolate Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebrews

Reaction score
Ok, so here's the concept.

I'd love to brew a dark porter with hints of chocolate flavoring. I was wondering about taking an existing extract porter brew and subbing in like a 80% Gheridelli cocoa for the standard sugars.

The last brew i did was an english brown ale that use almost 2 lbs of brown sugar. Would it be possible to do this. (i kinda already know its been done but i'm just not 100% sure how to execute)

Thanks for any tips.

I'm not positive on this, but I think I remember hearing Jamil Zainasheff (mrmalty.com) at some point on the Sunday Session (The Brewing Network [thebrewingnetwork.com]) saying he used unsweetened (or regular, can't remember) Hershey's cocoa powder. His point was that in chocolate bars, syrups, and the like, you get large doses of adjuncts (milk, gluten, etc.).
I think the closer you get to pure cocoa, the more that spicey, chocolaty taste will come through.

On the other hand https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/recipe-socias-black-chocolate-robust-porter-ag-157402/

He used some gherideli and the recipe looked good.

I'll take a look at brewing classic styles a little later and let you know if there's anything about adding chocolate.

Best of luck. Post your recipe in the recipe forum when you're done, and update with how it turned out.

I would definitely use as close to 100% cocoa as possible. You can easily find cocoa nibs and cocoa powder around. I used cocoa powder in the last 5 of the boil, and am currently in the middle of a secondary on cocoa nibs. I'm tasting the secondary regularly and once it achieves my ideal flavor I'll bottle.

As to what you're suggesting, it might make an interesting experiment, but I wouldn't make a 5 gallon batch right away :)

I'll probalby pick up a "starter" bottle. Make like a one gallon batch and see what comes of it.

Could i adapt this to a one gallon batch?

9 Lbs Dark Liquid Extract (40.0 SRM) Extract 90%
0.75 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.5%
0.25 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80 SRM) Grain 2.5%
1.80 oz Chinook [10.70%] Hops 44.8 IBU
1.00 oz Willimette [4.50%] Hops 5.2 IBU
.50 oz Willimette [5.50%] Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) yeast-ale

I would guess i can use the Beer Smith to play with the recipe, but i haven't had the chance to play with the trial yet, but i hear great things.

I'm not so good with creating recipes so I can't give you any useful adjustments, but I will say that that recipe is awfully complex. At 1 lb your additions would be pretty difficult to measure. If was was doing a 1 g batch, I would try to keep keep my recipe simple. That way you aren't making tiny additions and you also get a better idea of how you variable (cocoa) performs.

Back in October I brewed a brown porter that I bottled half with 2 oz of hersheys cocoa. The other half I kegged just to see how my recipe turned out without adding anything. The bottled batch needed some time for the cocoa flavor to mellow out. The kegged portion was great after it carbed up.

I have a book somewhere with a honey chocholate porter....looked so good it is on my to do list. I think it called for like 6 oz unsweeted baking chocholate squares melted & added to the boil. I can find the book & post the recipe if you'd like.

i totally forgot to post after i did this brew. I did the 1 gallon batch and it was absolutely awesome. i'm planning the full batch in late January.

i totally forgot to post after i did this brew. I did the 1 gallon batch and it was absolutely awesome. i'm planning the full batch in late January.

Please do - this is probably going to be my next beer since my girlfriend won't stop bugging me about it.

Back