First ever brew day from hell! (tm)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
I know everyone has one of those days every now and again so here's mine:

So I decided to brew Bee Cave Brewery's Haus PA since I hadn't brewed in a while last night.

Got a bunch of new supplies from a descent online canadian distributer that I was anxious to try out.

Things started out ugly and got worse:
7:30pm - While mashing, the temp dropped 9 degrees in one hour! I usually dough in with much more water, but it just goes to show how poorly the keg keeps heat in the tun. I may end up converting that cooler after all. I added some hot water to bring the heat back up to 152, but the majority of the mash was probably done at 148.

8:30pm- Right after sparging, noticed the dog was sick, and we had to bring him to the vet. Left the wort sitting in the boil kettle for about 2 hours. Thankfully doggey (longhaired minature dacshund) is okay.

11:30pm- Started boil. Shortly after achieving rolling boil, propane runs out. DOH!

12:00pm- grabbed my backup tank. It too was low on propane. I ended up doing a 55 minute boil because after that point the boil wasn't rolling anymore, and the burner looked like more of a candle.

1:00am- Chilled with no issues. M new device for limitting cold break/hop debris failed miserably!! It was essentially a street elbow hooked up to the bulkhead with a stainless scrubby shoved in the one end to act as a filter. This will require some rethinking. Whirlpooled the wort, then ran to sterilize my siphon hose.

2:00am- pitched and cleaned up. Missed my OG by what looks like 9 points, although the hydro sample was a bit warm. Never has that happened before. Go figure. Anyways bed time. Hockey at 7:30am. work at 9:00 am. DOH!

One thing actually worked out great. I put together one of those hop bag devices which worked awesome. Very clean boil pot at the end of the day and I couldnt have been happier about that.

At the end of the day I still made beer. Now to forget about this brew day and get those tanks filled :)

Hey, since you mashed low, you'll probably have a lower FG. With that said, it sounds like you just made a slightly over-hopped session Haus Pale Ale. Sounds delicious to me!

Just as a follow up, this beer turned out to be one of the most fantastic brews to date. Ive never had a beer taste this good and clear this fast! ABV% is around 5% which is perfect for me.

Go figure!!!

I had a day like yours a couple of weeks ago. I actually ruined the curtains splashing hot wort all over the kitchen and broke a thermometer in the process (so I didn't even know at what temperature I mashed at and lost about a gallon of first runnings). The wort also sat for 2 hours before reaching pitching temperature. I took my first taste yesterday and it was AWESOME.

Wich is sad since I don't intend on adding cold and hot water half a dozen time each until I'm mashing at 2.5 qt/lb and breaking a colander so I can get to splash soon to be beer. I was lucky my girlfriend wasn't there when it happened because I would've been banned from brewing inside ever again.

I also bought new curtains on the sly afterward when I realized that the cleaning hadn't made that good of a job on them. I'm like the James Bond of covering up messes :)

Latest posts

Back